Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm getting the itch for a sportbike again, and I'm considering scratching that itch. I have a friend that run a small dealership/maintenance shop nearby and he just took a 03 ZX6R is. It's suppose to be in Great shape (haven't seen it yet) and I'm considering trading my Raptor straight up for it. Are there any known troublespots/problems on the '03 6Rs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had my 03 for about 2.5 years now, and I love it. Even thuogh it is a few years old, it still just as well as many newer bikes. I let my friend take it out one day, (he has a few more years riding experience than me) and he feels that for an '03 "600"cc bike, its pretty strong. My other friend has an '06 R6, and I pretty much smoke him once I hit the end of 3rd gear. Obviously the extra 36 cc's helps. I love it. All I have is a two bros pipe, everything else is stock, minus the frame sliders, fender eliminator, and rider pegs.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
intake snorkle can crack when doing wheelies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YEAH BRO I HAD AN 03 BEFORE AND THE RAM AIR SNORKLE BROKE ON ME WHEN I CAME DOWN FROM A WHEELIE.[}:)] ASIDE FROM THAT NO PROBLEMS I LOVED MY 636 UNTIL I BOUGHT AN 06.:D IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE THIS 636'S YOU CAN TAKE A GIXER 750 EASY BRO.[:p]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. I don't really ride wheelies, so no worries there. I'm going up tomorrow to talk to him about the trade. He's seems anxious to do it. So we'll see. lol

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Unless you abuse the bike like th guys above you will have no problem with it, i ran my 03 hard, track time and all and never had to do anything outside of schedule maintance.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
the only problem the bike has is it dont like to sit around, it wants to be ridden very very much.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The only problem I ever had with mine was the cam position sensor went out and it took them forever to find the problem and fix it. I also had a bad connection in the gauges but that was a easy fix.

I put over 25,000 miles on my 03 636 that looked just like the one above and loved it, until I got my 05 ZX10r.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,422 Posts
I've put 22k miles on my 636, still running perfectly, still loving it. The ONLY problem I've had that wasn't my own dumb ass fault was that the front sprocket nut was torqued on WAY too tight from the factory, and I had to have a dealer use an air chisel to get it off (they couldn't torque it off with their impact wrench, either), then had to buy a new front sprocket, nut, washer, etc. The parts weren't expensive, it was the labor that got me. [xx(] Oh, and there's this pesky problem where the front end doesn't want to stay on the ground in first or second. That can get a little challenging sometimes. :D

Other than that, she's been running smooth as silk. No problems at all that didn't involve me breaking things and having to fix them (missed a cracked headlight housing when I was repairing from my wreck, and a few months later water got in the housing and exploded my headlight bulbs...that took me quite a while to clean up and re-seal...:/)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm also in the process of considering what bike to buy to upgrade from my 250.

Used F4i, or 03/04/05 zx-6r?

I'm leaning toward the 6R just because i'm a Kawi fanboi but I'm most worried about what i've read on here talking about how uncomfortable it (03-04) is...anyone else want to put in their opinion on that? :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
03/04 zx6r was in the top 10 bikes of all time.. i saw it somewhere but dont ask me for a link for it... and plus its sexy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I went and looked at it last night. It's not a bad looking bike. Apparently the previous owned got crowded into a freeway wall which rashed up the right side fairings, but he didn't wreck it. The fairings have been replaced but the paint doesn't quite match. Other then that the bike was spotless!

He maybe working out a deal with someone else though, I'm suppose to know by tomorrow if that deal is going to go through or not. I hope not, I WANT that bike!!! :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
i've got an '04 and as far as i know they're the same.
the bike is outstanding. no lack of power considering it's in the 600 class! super light weight, easy to handle and easy to flick. styling is obviously opinion but for my money it's one of the sweetest bikes ever made (no offense to the '05/'06 owners)
there are some negatives IMO;

-not the most comfortable riding position. I do a lot of long trips and sometimes feel like a cripple when i get off [:0]
-set up more for track than everyday riding. but i should mention that raods out here are shit! so it might be easier on the spine and kidneys on a good surface
-some of the stock parts are absolutely shit considering this is a top end bike. crap brake lines. some of the ugliest signals known to man. levers are worth shit and the stock screen sucks.
IMO an anolog tach would be better than the crap digital but that's a whole different discussion
having said that, these are all minor fixes. once you get these sorted it's a bad-ass ride! LOVE IT!
-anth-
:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Anth.. I can somewhat relate to what you said. I had a Z1000 for a couple of years. The breaklines were crap on that as well as were the signals. The ZX6R that I'm looking at already has new levers, and LED signals. The lines are cake to replace. Comfort isn't an issue, since I'm keeping my VStrom 650 for touring style trips. The 636 will be for more spirited riding and hopefully even some track days sometime. [^]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Off topic, has anyone ridden both a 2003/2004 ZX-6R and a 2003 Yamaha R6?

Reason I ask is because a friend's friend let him borrow his 03 R6 today and I got to ride it for a while.... I didn't find it that uncomfortable. If that's how the 6R is I can deal with that just fine.

On another note...that was my first ride on a 600CC bike....and oh my god. Words cannot describe how awesome those things are. I'm still grinning half an hour later! :D:D Just an awesome experience. Makes me want to get rid of my 250 today. haha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.