Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the mileage you are currently at, you should continue to use NON-synthetic (that should be the stock grade). You don't have to use the factory oil when you change. You can use any quality oil that you find in auto part stores. Just make sure to stay within the appropriate viscosity parameters.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yeah I know to use non-synthetic but I was just wondering if anybody had a recomendation for a good type of oil and filter that they trust.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend just going to an Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone and get it from there. You might have to have them order it for you, but it will be cheaper than ordering online since you won't have to pay any shipping charges. I would recommend doing the same for your filter. They will get it for ya.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im breaking my new blue 636 in and I went a little higher in mileage then I wanted to before changing the oil, but I just couldn't pry myself off the damn thing. I'm a little under 400 miles but I just read the break in forums and now I want to change the oil and filter asap. I was wondering what kind of oil comes stock in the 03 636rs and if I should replace the used stuff with the factory oil, or should I use a better non-synthetic oil (any suggestions on oil & filter type).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hear a lot of people talking about getting oil from car stores. I thought we were supposed to use specially formulated oil for our bikes so nothing gets f'd up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fellow '03 rider (who changes his ZX-6R for new one annually in order to have the latest and greatest) recommended me Motul oils, which should work better with Kawi's gearbox than other brands.

+37cc
__
There's no substitute for cubic inches...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah I would also suggest " MOTUL 3000 which is 10w40 NON synth" It should cost about $14-$15 for the gallon jug which is about 4L which is exactly what she needs. My 03 enjoyed it very much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last time I checked, Motul makes Kawachem, but hey.... what do I know? As for getting oil for cheap...... don't skimp out on the "life-blood" of the engine. If you want cheap, just go get some Kawachem which I think 2.50 to 2.99 a quart and your filter do it to it. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Kelsey

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I threw BelRay EXL 10-40 in mine today with a new filter. I've had good results with it in the past, so why not. I will be switching to full synth at around 2,500 miles I think though.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was racing my '96 6R, I used Bel-Ray full synthetic, can't say enough about that stuff. That motor was abused big time, and never had ANY problems out of it. Two thumbs up for Bel-Ray!!

Kelsey

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a '95 that I ride on the street. I plan to keep it a while and I am curious if you came across any problem areas on the '95-'97s that I ought to watch for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
swjohnsey..... no problem areas on that bike for the street (except for the suspension, but that is another story). As for the motor, I ran it hard and did routine maintenance and never had a problem, and not to mention I did not skimp out on cheap motor oil, I only used Bel-Ray in it. As for my new '03, I haven't decided what brand of synthetic I am going to run, probably Silkolene (because they have contingency). I still have a set of Attack rearsets that will fit on your '95 if you are interested.

Kelsey

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Personally I do NOT like FRAM. I like to get my filter from kawasaki. They are not even $10 form the dealsership. But If I would get one from an autostore it would be an STP filter, available at autozone among others. And for your first oil Motul 3000 10w40 is a good oil.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by TheManZX6R

yeah I know to use non-synthetic but I was just wondering if anybody had a recomendation for a good type of oil and filter that they trust.
Breaking in I use Mobil (non-synthetic) 10w40. I used a FRAM oil filter for my first oil change, but not anymore. Speaking to others as well as my Kawasaki dealer, FRAM filters are low in quality. You can find other posts as to what other brands to use, but I now buy mine from my dealership. $8 more, but better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.