Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an issue with my o3 636 b1h that unfortunately I can't seem to get my head round.

24000 miles, braided brake lines, rest of bike pretty much standard. oh except stubby exhaust.

Bought it around six months back. Have put on around 500 miles since purchase without issue. Long 200 mile rides have been perfect Ran smooth as anything. Did an oil and filter change (put in Motul 7100 fully synthetic 10w40) on one hot summers day and went out for a blast. Bike ran sweet.

Around 70 miles later, in some 30mph and 40mph zone, I felt a slight hesitation and bucking. Thought nothing of it. After another mile or so, another slight hesitation. Revs dropping slightly then back to normal it seemed. Only happening at lower rpms. Around 10 miles later the bike just stalled and I couldn't get it to turn on at all. :eek:

A nice passer by on a gixxer stopped to help but I told him not to worry as my mates would turn around when they realise I'm not there. (nice guy)

Now, I managed to get the bike started with lots of throttle and rode home, with the intermittent bucking/hesitation continuing. Got home, everything checked out, oil level fine, no obvious issues. Next day, I take it for a test run and bike dies on me 20 miles from home. Battery dies trying to crank and came home on a RAC truck.

Now, I've had a mechanic come round in a mobile van and he seems puzzled. All the basics check out. Ive put in new filter and plugs. Its throwing out a code 21 and 23 but mostly 23 (after I delete and re-crank in case you're wondering). Which looks like camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor.

Im throwing parts at it unfortunately as thats what my mechanic was doing and billing me lots so I basically thought I might as well do that myself. Kickstand switch replaced. New ECU tried.

Coils replaced, all 4. Bike will occasionally switch on if I crank a lot and idle ok. Sometimes for 20 minutes, sometimes only for 5.

Anyone have ANy idea whats going on. Ive ordered camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensors (in the post) but it seems strange that the fault is intermittent.

Oh, and sometimes when it doesn't start, if I unplug the camshaft sensor and replug then the bike turns back on straight away.

Its all very strange and hurting my bank balance......Im confused:confused::confused::confused: and scared

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved

Hi,

Managed to solve the problem.

The cam sensor was faulty. It was either giving off an intermittent signal or had failed altogether.

There was quite a bit of dried oil around the engine near the sensor. I suspect I have a slight rocker cover leak that soiled the señor over time or the O ring of the sensor had failed. Either way, as soon as I fitted a new one, the bike fired up and has been perfect since.

Just thought Id post my solution as I know from personal experience that some threads are left incomplete without the final answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts