Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year is your ZX-6R? Some have a nut and some have a shim. Either way you have to remove the nut on top of the shock mount that is under the seat. Then you will have to get a couple of strong friend to lift the rear of the bike so the swing arm can drop down far enough to get the shim/nut off or take the bottom of the shock loose to do the same thing. Removing the shim will lower the ride height about twice the thickness of the shim. To correct the handling you should raise the forks above the top of the tripple clamp about twice the thickness of that shim. You will lose a little ground clearance but for most of us mortals it will not make a big difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's a 2003. It looks like the shim is around 3/16". Would that actually affect ground clearance? It seems that it would just lower the seat a tad. Either way, I don't think I'll be doing any knee down turns on a track for quite a while!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I didn't notice it was a '03. I have heard that the handling is a little twitchy so it might improve the handling to remove the spacer without lowering the front.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The spacer will be measureed in mm. By removing it you will be lengthening the trail figure. It should give you a bit more stability but the trade of will be a bike that will not turn as quik. I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have to a street rider but it doesn't hurt to try. Removing the shim will not soften up the rear. Technically you will have to buy a softer spring rate but play with the preload and damping first you might find a decent setting.

www.bothendsup.com

·
Registered
124 Posts
I need a little help with adjusting the rear shock on my new bike. I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't know much about sportbikes, so I need a little help getting started. First take a look at this thread topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3620
It talks about the shim at the top of the shock mount. What I want to do is remove this shim as talked about in Sport Rider. I'm 5'6 with 28" inseam! I want to lower the rear a little without adding dog bones. Also, I need to soften up the rear a little bit as it is very stiff. Hopefully the removal of the shim will give me about 1/4" and softening up the rear will give me a little sag to help me touch a little better. Hopefully, if I can get these two things done and add a corbin seat that this might give me almost an inch which is about all I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok, I softend the rear up a little and went for a ride. Then I noticed the front was a little stiff. So, I decided to try the Sport Rider settings. The only thing that I changed from that is front compression dampening. They suggested full soft. That felt a little too mushy for me. Any way I ended up adjusted the compression dampening 4 clicks from full soft. Man, all of the settings were very near the full stiff positions. I'll ride some more and report back on these settings. Also, the handling seemed to settle down a bit, but I want to ride a little more to get more of a feel for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.