Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 03 zx9r and I am having issues with the fan turning on. Isnt it supposed to kick on above like 195? My temp gauge works on and off (much more consistantly when its cooler than 90degrees outside) and when it does read it fluctuates rapidly so the fan doesnt always kick on when it should causing heatin issues (especially when city riding... lots of lights or stop signs). Was told I could get manual switch to keep the fan on always or just get an entire nother fan assembly and wire it to the ignition so it runs whenever the bike is on and the second one will kick in at 200degrees or whatever... anyone ou there having the same issue? Is this the most efficient solution?

And what temp am I supposed to be running at in general?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have a built motor so mine runs a little hotter than most...a lot hotter than most. My fan kicks on at about 226. And I do have a manual switch to help in the stop and go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow 226... just from what people are telling me my fan is supposed to kick in between 210 and 215... i think that switch is what i need...where do I install the manual switch? Or where do I wire it into rather...?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The wires are on the temp sensor on the left side of the radiator. Just T into those and run a switch up to where ever u want to mount it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just acquired a 03 zx9r and I am having issues with the fan turning on. Isnt it supposed to kick on above like 195? My temp gauge works on and off (much more consistantly when its cooler than 90degrees outside) and when it does read it fluctuates rapidly so the fan doesnt always kick on when it should causing heatin issues (especially when city riding... lots of lights or stop signs). Was told I could get manual switch to keep the fan on always or just get an entire nother fan assembly and wire it to the ignition so it runs whenever the bike is on and the second one will kick in at 200degrees or whatever... anyone ou there having the same issue? Is this the most efficient solution?

And what temp am I supposed to be running at in general?
Is yours dumping coolant from overheating or what? Is it actually overheating? Or do you want it to run cooler for some reason?

For a 1998 model, the thermostat opens at 140F. It's fully open at 203F. The fan kicks on at 205F I think it was.

slomo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts