Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new black 636 a week ago. I haven't got out to ride it due to the snow. I have only started it four times since I bought it. I only let it run for a very shot time until today. Today I started it and noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Water was also coming out of the bottom of the can. I trailerd my bike three hours home in a pretty good snow storm. Would I be correct to asume that all that snow got build up in the can. And what is coming out is condensation? It might look worse than it is because it is pretty cold in my garage. Do new bikes smoke due to assembly lube? I also think my bike smells very rich while running. I really don't know what to expect. I am new to street bikes I am used to my two stroke motocross bikes. They always smoke when you start them. Any thoughts or suggestion? Thanks

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you cannot ride the bike, do not start the engine. Otherwise, it may not burn off condensation idling at cold temperatures. For now, consider getting a battery tender.

New bikes come treated with cosmoline, which burns off with that distinct new-bike smell. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Your bike is likely fine. Do not worry about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the water coming out of the bottom of the exhaust is condensation.
there is a hole at the bottom to let it out.don't worry about it.

your bike will smell rich cos it is running on the choke.
if it's stood in a cold garage and you start it up,it will smoke a bit cos of the damp surroundings.

i put my bike away for the winter here in england at the end of november.i start it up every couple of weeks.let it run till the electric fan kicks in then let cool.i never have a problem with it.i leave the battery on charge all the time.

if u do want to start it up in your garage then leave the door open or,if u can wheel it outside,let it run till the fan kicks in then turn it off and let cool and then put it away.
won't do it any good just starting it up for a couple of minutes and then turning it off.it will emulsify the oil.
it will do it good to get all the oil and coolant flowing round the engine for a while.
also it will prevent the fuel going off in the float bowls.
when you turn the bike off turn the fuel tap off as well.

John

·
Registered
316 Posts
Moto- Just another thought- as well as what the others are stating about exhaust and stuff like that, the exhaust pipe itself has a rust inhibitor in it, to prevent it from rusting from the inside out, and the dealer said that for the first hundred or so miles, you will see smoke and junk coming out of the exhaust, and it is a natural process that it goes through when it burns the stuff off. I wouldn't start it myself. It isn't going to hurt the bike to sit there for a bit. If you start the bike, and then you shut it off, you will cause condensation to build up in your engine, and that is a bad thing. The best thing to do, if you are going to start it, is let the engine get fully heated, but not overheated, and then shut it off. If you start it and turn it off a lot, it will do more damage than good. The same thing applies with all vehicles. The only reason I know this is because I am a firefigher and I have to do our daily checkouts every shift, and we don't start our vehiles ever time for that reason. Enough preaching! I hope that you enjoy your bike, and hopefully the weather will clear up in your area soon, and you can get it really warm!

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I haven't started it since I posted this thread. I am dying to get out and ride it The weather in south eastern PA. has been terrible lately. I am going to ride MX this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.