Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 636 burned between 1/2-3/4 liter(synthetic) in 4000km. Has this happend to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
site glass, when oil is cold(overnight) and also 30 min after riding when the oil is still warm.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Are you using a leveler to make sure. That site glass can be a funny thing sometimes. How old is the oil? Is it really black? Any smoke coming out the pipe? Any oil stains on the inside of the fairring? Any oil crud around the filter or drain plug? Take a peak at some of the gaskets. It's highly unlikely that your brand new bike would be buring oil.
Also remember when you do an oil change you fill it to the tippy top line of that glass window then when you turn it on for a few mins the oil filter gets filled up with oil and it will look like some oil just vanished from inside your engine. But you may have known that already.
Go break out that leveler!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

Are you using a leveler to make sure. That site glass can be a funny thing sometimes. How old is the oil? Is it really black? Any smoke coming out the pipe? Any oil stains on the inside of the fairring? Any oil crud around the filter or drain plug? Take a peak at some of the gaskets. It's highly unlikely that your brand new bike would be buring oil.
Also remember when you do an oil change you fill it to the tippy top line of that glass window then when you turn it on for a few mins the oil filter gets filled up with oil and it will look like some oil just vanished from inside your engine. But you may have known that already.
Go break out that leveler!
I have used a level on the seat to make sure that I have the bike straight.
Oil is dark and due for a change 4000km
no blue smoke coming out of the pipe
drainplug and filter are clean

WTF[?][?][?]
I just pulled the fairings and gas tank off and the bike shows no signs of any oil leaks. I also checked the air box and there does seem to be some blow-by, now how much blow-by is usual?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Just want to make sure, but I'm guessing you are NOT talking about when you first added the oil following an oil change to now right? I'm sure you're not, but as long as you realize that once you start a bike and let the new oil circulate through the engine and into the new filter, etc, that once you shut off the bike next time you'll find the oil level has apparently "dropped" significantly in the window. I generally "top up" after letting the new oil circulate, and I've never had problems with oil loss after this point.

If you're not seeing oil on your garage floor, or on your engine or fairings, and the bike is running fine, I guess I just have a tough time thinking an '03 is burning oil even at a moderate rate. Monitor it carefully with the new change.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My bike has been running perfect (damn strong actually) but I have had more than a few people say they see blue smoke from the bike every now and again. Funny thing is they always say it when we are coming to stop and I am downshifting, even when barely even taching the bike up. I have been monitoring the level and there has not been any lose so far that I can tell, still looks good from the last oil change. No mods besides an M4 slip on, go figure on the blue smoke - I am not going to worry about it unless it starts showing up more often or the bike starts running bad.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive got oil lose too. One of our local 636 riders said he had to change the gaskets on his. Im going to watch it a little more and see what happins before I jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by dj dunzie

Just want to make sure, but I'm guessing you are NOT talking about when you first added the oil following an oil change to now right? I'm sure you're not, but as long as you realize that once you start a bike and let the new oil circulate through the engine and into the new filter, etc, that once you shut off the bike next time you'll find the oil level has apparently "dropped" significantly in the window. I generally "top up" after letting the new oil circulate, and I've never had problems with oil loss after this point.

If you're not seeing oil on your garage floor, or on your engine or fairings, and the bike is running fine, I guess I just have a tough time thinking an '03 is burning oil even at a moderate rate. Monitor it carefully with the new change.
After my oil change I idled my bike for a few min and topped up. My bike took 4 liters of oil and was at a perfect level. 4000 km later it mysteriously drops, I don't know what caused this but it is going to drive me crazy[:M99]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny you ask cause I was just about to post the same thing...? What's even odder is that my buddy has the same bike (03-636) and he too burned oil since his last oil change. I was short about 3/4 or a quart in about 3500 km's. I contacted the dealership and they're looking into it but they haven't come across this problem before. They're blaming it on my oil (AMSOil 20W50). I'm trying Kawi oil next and we'll see what happens but it'll have to go to next year since our riding season is almost done.

·
Registered
471 Posts
weird.....i broke in hard during first 500mi. changed oil @ <50mi. to dino motul 10W40. was curiously a qt. low when i drained it out into my gallon oil pan. @ <500mi. i changed to full synth 15W50 motul. checked after 6 trackdays and it's a qt. low again....:(

people say i changed to synth too quickly but had a qt. low when i changed from dino oil so dino or synth, didn't seem to play into it. it still pulls strong and i have no leaks or blue smoke from the exhaust.

for safety's sake, i'll change to a 5W20 lightweight oil and run it again for a few more trackdays to make sure the rings seat. hopefully that'll be good enough.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Originally posted by sixftnine
you didn't put car oil in there did you?
This has nothing to do with oil consumption.

Wierd you are that low, seems like a problem with all your bikes.. Downshifting and engine braking will pull some oil into the cylinder from some serious vacuum but nowhere near enough to burn 1 quart in 3000 miles or so.. funny thing is if its leaking there arent many places oil can transfer into the combustion chamber to be burnt, off the top of my head valve seals are the only place, either that or rings, neither of them should be givign you a problem unless it was a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I haven't noticed it on any Kawasakis, but every Honda 600RR I've seen on the track puffs oil smoke when they let off to shift or at the end of a straight. I'm wondering if this latest generation of 600s aren't all built a bit on the loose side to make more power.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Like i said its vacuum pulling oil into the cylinder that makes the smoke, on colder days you see water vapor from the combustion process..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some more info in support of this thread.

My 03 636 has been primarily ridden on the track since new. It was street ridden for 500 miles before it hit the track for the first time. It had 1,000 miles on it (including a 150 mile track day) before it was switched from dino oil to Elf full synthetic 10w40.

The oil was changed this Spring before any track days. After 4 track days and a little street riding (apporximately 1,000 miles) I changed the oil. It was a quart low. The drain pan was poured into a gallon container which was easily a quart from full. The oil looked clean, so I'm not worried about any mechanical problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yes my bike also burns oil, 3 other guys from this area have the same 03 and they do the same thing. Lound motors that burns oil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.