Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got mine on two days ago and I've also had problems getting it into 1st at a light. Kind of embarrassing but then I just pull away from every1 a/ all the power. Not experiencing problems from 3rd to 6th though and I was just assuming it may take a few miles to break in the 1st gear shift syndrome.. maybe some techs or seasoned riders can shed some light on what we see here

·
Registered
327 Posts
Seems as if nearly everyone who's bought a Ninja lately has had the same problem. You need to be more positive with your shifting, simple as that. If you are a bit half-hearted about it then it may jump out.

I had exactly the same problem when I first bought mine.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Its normal. All ninjas are like that. When you shift you have to push up with your foot pretty good and hold it there for a second. Also, at stop lights when the gear wont go down just press down with your foot and slowly let the clutch out about half an inch (not to where the bike starts to move) and the gear will now be allowed to change.

If all else fails you can adjust your cable, they may be a little too much slack in it.

Theres nothing wrong with your transmittions its just kawasaki. Once you get used to it you dont even think about it.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm new to forum and to the zx-6r. i'm also not exactly a seasoned rider...maybe ~500 miles seat time.

anyway, i picked up my '03 zx-6r last week. it's awesome -- best purchase in recent memory. but sometimes it just doesn't seem to shift right.

i've experienced two different problems:

1. shifting into 1st from neutral at a stoplight. it often takes at least two tries, often more than that. i'm not sure if i just need to be more deliberate with the shifter, or if something isn't right.

2. upshifting into any of the higher gears (3rd thru 6th). sometimes it just won't grab the next gear. again, i'm not sure if i'm being too gentle with the shifter or if something's wrong.

so am i paranoid, or do i just need to be less a wimp with that lever??

tia.

Dan

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx cailith & tommyboy.. yo your guardian angel is hot but I go for the big ass nipples! you know half dollar sizes.. mmmmm mmm mmm

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for the replies...they've put me much more at ease. now if only it weren't going to rain today and tomorrow.....

Dan

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
word, when the [email protected]'s it gonna warm up! look at it this way, the bugs don't smear up your face shield as bad..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree, my 99 6R sometimes hates to upshift. With only 6,000 or so on it, I was kinda sketchy when I first took it out. As far as not being able to downshift and find neutral at lights, I havent had much trouble. I feel downnshifting, unless I blip the throttle, is kinda clunky. What could cause this? I'm thinking my next day off, I'm going to check and tighten the chain and give it a good cleaning and waxing, but I'm not sure if thats really going to help.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was also having troubles on my 636, so I adjusted the shifter down to get more leverage on an upshift and more force on a downshift and all of my problems disappeared. Just lets me know I'm a twat for not hammering on the gears. I've only had Honda's before this and those would change gears willingly, I guess you have to show a Ninja who is boss sometimes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
as i've begun to explore higher rpm and bigger throttle openings, the upshifting problem has virtually disappeared.

the first gear from neutral has diminished since i've been a bit more authoritative with the shifter. it will still occasionally fail to find first, but i just let the clutch out a hair and it snicks right in.

thanks for all the replies.

Dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
I adjusted the shift lever down after reading this post and it is like night and day. Any issues that I had are gone now. The transmission is buttery smooth and has positive shifts with 800 or so miles on the clock.

2003 ZX6R Silver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.