Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seat goes on and off easily, but I haven't been able to lock the cowling yet..front holders go in the slots but the rear holder wont go down quite far enough..I'm scared to push down any harder for fear of breaking something..ive tried jiggling the key lock ...anybody else have this prob or am I incompetent [?] love the bike by the way..my first 600..I'm a convert from years of open class and gt freeway burners ...iz black [^]

·
Registered
130 Posts
wfobusa,

You didn't say if the seat was stock or if any other changes were made. On most Kawasaki's the pin (the portion fastened to the underside of the seat) can be shimmed with a couple of flat washers to move it a little further from the seat pan. You can experiment with different washer thickness or the qualtity to get just the right 'click'.

It's a good idea to lubricate the mechanism periodically and make sure everything is in working order. If something breaks or comes loose here, you many find that the only way to gain access may be very unpleasant.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The '03 comes with both, stock, except in Europe I guess...

I have a similar issue, the seat will lock down much easier than the solo cowl. Sometimes I have to take it right off and try again, push it as far forward as you can before you set the rear down, and when ya set it down, just push gently on the very back of the cowl and you should hear a click when it locks... or try turning the key and pushing down, then releasing the key. If you're still having problems, sounds like a slightly defective or deformed solo cowl. Your dealer should stand behind that. But yeah, my cowl is definitely more finicky than the standard seat is to install...

Good luck.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dj dunzie...Just got the bike today...will try pushing forward a little harder then will go to dealer (a lifelong buddy) for a demo if that doesnt get it.. Weather is perfect here in North Georgia and I put the bike thru 3 heat/cool cycles today and nearly 100 miles of sub 4500 rpm break-in..will be 70 on sat so may have to romp on the Duc (which is very loose) over in the mtns..:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
yep, what they said, it sux, u think they could've made the seat cowl the same setup as the seat, but just play with it and once u get the hang of it, it's not that bad to click in.

--- '03 zx6r

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.