Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I noticed today while driving in traffic that my tempature was staying around 215, and when I stopped at a red light it went up to 230 then down to 225 then up again and slowly got to 240 and the temp started to flash. I then started moving and it dropped back to normal, when I got home I checked the coolant level in the resivior and it looks full. I also let it idle to see if the fan was working and it is but it came on at 227 is this normal? I just bought this bike last friday andit hasen't done this before, the temp usually stays around 165 when I am cruising and at red lights it is usually around 190-215, I guess I just sat to long at this one. But I dont think it should overheat that quick especially since it is 50 degrees outside. So if anyone can provide some help on what to look for I would be greatfull as I am new to motorcycles.
Oh and sorry for the long post I just wanted to give you all the details. Thanks

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
when was the radiator last flushed? do you know?
Might pay to replace the water in there, since it could be old.. or an airlock in there somewhere

the temp switch is set to run the fan around 198 - 219, so if the fan is kicking in around 227, it's still ok, but may be the switch is getting towards the end of it's serviceable life

and bikes heat up in traffic anyway. My bike does, but when the air gets going thru it, it cools right off again.. These bikes are designed for a race track, not to sit in traffic, hence it ain't the best place for them ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
My fan kicks on around 210-212 and mine rarely gets above 216 at a stop light in 75-80 weather, I would flush and replace the coolant and probably replace the thermo switch for the fan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know when the coolant was flushed so I guess I will do it to be safe. What coolant do I use? is there a special motorcycle coolant? Also I am going to replace the fan switch this weekend can I get this from a dealer? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
yeah, the dealer should be able to get hold of a switch for you. It's mounted to the radiator on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it). You'll see a fat hose, and above that, a plug with wires coming out. That's the switch. You'll have to drain the system first (easy way is to follow that fat hose to the bottom, and unscrew the clamp. All the water will rush out. Don't do this hot!), then remove the switch. Also, you'll need some sealant too. The dealer will be able to give you some when you get the switch.

As for the coolant, any motor coolant will work. Ideally, you'll want a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. Make sure the coolant isn't pre-mix either, otherwise if that's all you can find, just find 50/50 premix or something around there..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Actually you want to use coolant specific for motorcycles, even more specifically aluminium engines, if you pick it up at the dealership you will definatly be safe, The stuff for AL. engines has corrosion inhibitors in it that are crucial to maintaining engine life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.