Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I used the Search function couldnt find much on this topic about what all you need to do to switch it..

Hoping someone who has done this or who has a write up on switching a 636 to a Slipper clutch could chime in on the average cost and time it takes to complete said project?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are a lot of things you have to factor in if you are going to do this. You'll need everything that is a part of the transmission. Gears, clutch plates, dogs.... Its going to be very expensive if you buy all of this from the dealer but there is one on ebay for $200. To swap the transmission out you'll need to drop the engine and split the block. Again this will be very expensive if you go through a shop. So if you do it yourself it will probably cost somewhere around $400 and some elbow grease or $2000 if a shop does it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are a lot of things you have to factor in if you are going to do this. You'll need everything that is a part of the transmission. Gears, clutch plates, dogs.... Its going to be very expensive if you buy all of this from the dealer but there is one on ebay for $200. To swap the transmission out you'll need to drop the engine and split the block. Again this will be very expensive if you go through a shop. So if you do it yourself it will probably cost somewhere around $400 and some elbow grease or $2000 if a shop does it.

WOW, glad i saw this, i was also considering the switch, but i thought it was as simple as installing a new clutch basket and springs.... I think ill just deal with the rear wheel hop, i'm too cheap, lol. or should i say broke.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
it's not really worth it imo, with the work and money involved. i think i'd rather do a whole engine swap that has the slipper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I switched the clutch on my '03 636 about a year after I got it. I spent 248 bucks on parts and about an hour in the garage. I was working at a dealer ship at the time so the cost was much lower than most people could do it for and parts have probably gone up by now. I think list was around 450. The hardest part was figuring out what parts I didn't have to buy. You can do it pretty easily on kawi's website tho'. I did NOT change transmissions or split the cases. It's pretty much just changing clutch baskets only you use the 6rr clutch basket and springs et. al.. you will have to put new plates in as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I switched the clutch on my '03 636 about a year after I got it. I spent 248 bucks on parts and about an hour in the garage. I was working at a dealer ship at the time so the cost was much lower than most people could do it for and parts have probably gone up by now. I think list was around 450. The hardest part was figuring out what parts I didn't have to buy. You can do it pretty easily on kawi's website tho'. I did NOT change transmissions or split the cases. It's pretty much just changing clutch baskets only you use the 6rr clutch basket and springs et. al.. you will have to put new plates in as well.
How did you get that to work?

I am currently swapping my 636 clutch for a rr slipper, I have all the parts and I'm pretty well 100% sure it wont fit without an rr input shaft. Swapping this obviously involves splitting the crank case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
slipper clutch ftw ;) i say do it

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the trans between the 636 and RR are different, but interchangeable. From what I've looked into and found out, you can get away with replacing the output shaft, clutch basket and clutch. You don't have to crack open the case (I don't think), and should be almost a straight swap.
Yes, the gearing is different between the two, but no, you don't have to change it to the RR gearing if you don't want to.

I actually think someone has done it, but I can't remember. I'll have a search later.
So yup, doable, but some dickin around and the cost of the parts will be a few hundy.

Depends how bad the skipping is coming into corners, or you want the bling factor. A few people have seen how I ride on the track and boast about their slippers. I tell them they might as well keep them on their feet, I can ride round and rarely have it skipping now. Not a prob, just adapt my riding

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I am currently swapping over my 636 for a RR slipper.

The definitive answer is that the crankcase DOES need to be split to change the input shaft WHICH IS different.The slipper clutch will NOT FIT a 636 input shaft. All the 636 gears do fit on the RR input shaft. The output shaft is the same. You will need most of the clutch basket and associated components from the input shaft outwards from a RR (if that makes sense) - some of these parts are used on ZX7R's and other bikes, check part numbers for details.

Hope that helps.

PS while it's in bits, stick a Factorypro shift star kit in it....

·
Registered
20 Posts
anyone have an actual how to on this?

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Check with SWL on this forum. He's done it. You will need either an 03-04 ZX6RR input shaft or the 05-06 complete transmission. SWL used an 05 tranny and either way; the case will need to be split. I don't know how GROND did it by just bolting on parts but if he has, that's some new info. Maybe GROND can post a "How To" article with all the info and parts he used? There was a guy here who was making kits to use parts without splitting the cases but that was a long time ago and he doesn't have the its anymore.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You cannot just bolt the parts on. Internally to the transmission, both shafts are the same. The part that is different is where the shaft exits the cases. The RR shaft has the spline and clutch nut threads closer to the pressure plate and the 636 shaft has the spline and threads right up against the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts