Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 03 ZX6R almost daily for the last 6 months with zero starting problems.

I went on vacation and left the bike for about 2 weeks. When I got back, the bike would not start. It would crank, but not start. I could hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the ignition.

The bike was perfect before my vacation, so I can't figure out why it would not start after sitting for 2 weeks. It sat in my apartment garage, so it wasn't exposed to rain or any other elements.

I'm leaning towards thinking it is fuel because I don't think all 4 spark plugs would go bad at the same time and the bike would at least struggle to start if only 1 were bad.

I've checked the fuses and everything is OK.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crank it over for a couple of seconds and pull out the spark plugs. If they are wet, you have fuel.
I tried pulling the plugs today and realized that the spark plug socket I have doesn't fit. I ordered the right size and it should be here this week. I ordered new plugs since I haven't changed them since owning the bike and I figure it wouldn't hurt to change them anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... Better, but not fixed.

I replaced the battery, cranked but didn't start.

Replaced the spark plugs and it did the same thing.

I read on another thread about a guy with an 07 that had a similar problem and he said that after replacing his battery and plugs, he rocked the bike back and forth and it ran... so I tried it.

I stood the bike straight up and rocked it forward and back and cranked it. The bike struggled to start, but eventually did with the "choke" on. (The 03's are FI, but they have a choke)

I bike ran @ 2.5K RPM's with the choke on and died as soon as I closed the choke.

Starts up inconsistently with the choke now. I let it warm up and slowly turned the choke off and the bike held idle. I would rev it, and it would rev and then die.

I can't figure it out. Is it just bad gas? Some problem with the fuel delivery? It has to be, right?

There are no kinks in the fuel line or any other visible problems that I could see.

Here is a video of the bike running/ dying: https://youtu.be/6hxX0xP0C4s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm ordering a new fuel pump since the filter and pump are all one in-tank unit on these bikes. Hopefully that should do it.

Is there a way to clean the filter without replacing the pump too?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... Update...

Replaced fuel pump... Cranks, doesn't start.

I took the fuel line off and cranked it and I'm not getting fuel out of the tank so I'm not getting power to the pump.

I'm going to replace the relay today and see if that's the problem. I took the multimeter to it this weekend and verified that I'm getting almost 7v to the relay. I'm wondering if the relay is just broken since the pump is not getting power.

I'll post on the results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...

Relays finally came in. BTW... The ECU and Fuel Pump relays are the same. So if you need a fuel pump relay and you can't find one, it's because it doesn't exist. Get the ECU relay.

But, that's not my problem. I replaced both the ECU and Fuel Pump relay and the bike cranks but won't start. I still don't hear the pump prime and I'm getting the flashing yellow gas light when I'm cranking.

I'm sure my problem is that I'm not getting power/ signal to the pump.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts