Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a honda superhawk and have always loved the look of the 03-04 zx6r. I wanted to know what the main differences in ride would be compared to the hawk. Also I was wanting to know if there was any problems to look for in the 03-04 zx6r before purchasing.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
welcome to kawiforums! i never ridden a hawk before but expect the biggest suprise to be the aggressive stance you will have on the bike. i had to knock a dent in my tank for my balls to have a little more slack without banging into it.

like any bike it will have some problems. sometimes you may have a problem with getting it from 1 to 2 gear but a thicker oil can help. the cam tensioner also makes some noise.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
the 03-04 have some bullet proof motors, u will experience a cam chain tension problem but a easy fix and no none transmission problems from the 03-04 636's like the 05-06 636's did

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
the 03-04 have some bullet proof motors, u will experience a cam chain tension problem but a easy fix and no none transmission problems from the 03-04 636's like the 05-06 636's did
48k on my motor, has seen its share of redline bounces, missed gears, run low on oil, you name it, still has the stock clutch in it and did its first valve adjustment this summer so I think i'll agree with you lol.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
03'-04' = bullet proof

never rode a hawk. what year is yours? i think it'd be a world of difference. i had a yami fz6 (04') and was way different from my RR

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1998 (1998-2005 was the same expect for the gauge change in 02) hawk with 13k miles the bike has tons of torque. The hawk has the same problem with the CCT's. I have heard quit a few bikes have that problem.

I got the itch to get the 03 636(which was my dream bike in college) after I rode a 03 R6. The fuel injection makes for such a smoother ride. Another reason I want a 636 is because the hawk is quit heavy so it doesn't handle as smoothly through the twisties.

Keep the advice and knowledge coming.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ive got a 6rr love it to death the biggest changes are rider position and handling is gonna be night and day the bikes only weigh in at like 400 with fluids so very light i say go for it but sit on one for a bit make sure ur not uncomfortable the riding position is like stated above very agressive puts more weight on your palms if your over 5'6" as far as balls hitting the tank it happens if your humping it to begin with if you sit normal its not a problem at all

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am 5'6" and I am use to my balls hitting or riding against the tank of the hawk. The tank on the hawk is a lot longer than the r6 I rode.

I think I may be sold on the zx6r or zx6rr, but I have to sell my bike first. This time of year it is hard to sell a bike. Hopefully it will sell this week.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
IMO, you'll hate the lack of power everywhere except over 10k RPM's. Once you get up into triple digits you'll like how the 636 keeps pulling where the twin peters off, but at any even halfway sane street speed the I4 will feel incredibly impotent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what kind of gas mileage do you guys get when cruising and through the twisties? I know it has to be better than the 35 I get in the twisties and 40 on the highway.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
what kind of gas mileage do you guys get when cruising and through the twisties? I know it has to be better than the 35 I get in the twisties and 40 on the highway.
On my 03 the best I ever saw was 46mpg and that was 100% highway (filled up right next to an onramp in Tampa, then hopped on and rode 140 miles or so to Daytona non stop), but I almost never saw less than 40, even with city riding.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
not really. probably about the same.
For some reason the 05/06 got MUCH worse milage than the 03/04. Maybe because it was so damn porky. :D:p

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts