Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got pulled through 3rd and 4th by an 03 r6 last nite. he has a jardine slip on and i have a two bros slip on. i pulled a few bikes on the launch and through second but he caught and passed me in 3rd and 4th. i know im the better rider and i was sure i would beat him up top especially if i beat him on the launch, any one else race an 03 r6? im stumped i know im a better rider, i was cluychless powershifting the 2-3 and 3-4 with my shift lite at 13750 probably shifting around 14, should i have held gears longer maybe?
also what is the stock sprocket teeth set up i want to make a change but not so drastic as to rev crazy on the freeway, anybody really happy with thier sprocket changes?
i appreciate any input guys, thanks[?]

·
Registered
471 Posts
stock sprocket setup is 15/40

The R6 probally wasn't stock geared. You could try velocity stacks for $80. Also if you look at dyno charts the 6r power drops off at 12k rpms perhaps shift sooner.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had a lil more gas i believe, maybe a gallon or two more at the most, i weighed prob about 25 lbs or 30 at the most more than him- and the r6 and zx6r are within 3lbs of each other wet- so shouldnt my plus 3 hp and +2tq make up for that especially if i had him from the start and about 2bikes in top of second

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe you can switch bikes and race each other's bikes so you know for sure whether your bike is slower....?

·
Registered
11 Posts
each gallon is worth around 6lbs. a 25-30lb weight different between the bikes is roughly a 5% change in weight. So if your 30lbs heavier and two gallons up, you just added 7% or so to your weight. This accounts for a 9.3% loss in weight/power or thereabouts. The short answer is that your additional power does not make up for the extra weight you may have been carrying around. This assumes both riders were perfectly equal, which is doubtful. For nearly equal motorcycles on the street (as is the case here), I believe it is primarily a rider issue. So if he is pulling very hard on you... practice some more ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many miles do you have on your bike? I heard it should be broken in properly and make peak power after 4000miles or more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Like vtjballeng said, 30 lbs(you) + 12 lbs(gas)= 42 lbs, at 8 lbs per HP you are down 5.25 HP. If your bike has 3 HP up on his you are still down 2.25 HP. That's why most races weight like a buck twenty five or so.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks vt, but believe me not a rider issue i was pulling and just came back up on me. guess i should just start fasting, that could be my most beneficial mod! thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.