Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my exhaust system and PCIIIUSB last Saturday. Everything went great. I bought my schtuff from Dan Kyle and he put a Sato full system map on it since the Aratas are very similar and he doesn't have one for them yet. To the point...

On Wednesday morning my bike dies. Twice. I was downshifting since I was coming to light and then the engine goes dead. The electronics are fine, just the engine. I pull over and she starts right back up with no problems. I reach the next light and begin downshifting again. Bike dies again. Re-starts with no problems. Bike doesn't have any problems the rest of the week.

Today I was upshifting and it dies. Twice. Then it dies 4 more times through out the day - I think 3 of those times I wasn't even shifting! Thank goodness everytime she dies she's straight up! I shudder at the thought of her passing out while leaned over.

I followed the instructions closely and ground it to the negative connetor on the battery. I checked every connection as I was disconnecting the PC and they were all secure and none of the pins were bent. None of the fuel lines or any of the hoses going to the air box were pinched. Really weird!

So I get home and yank the PCIIIUSB out. She idles smoothly now and seems to pull EVEN HARDER than with the PC. WTF???

I guess I got a bad PC?? If the PC is really the problem (won't know for a while since the problem is so intermittent and sporadic) the I can't wait to see how hard she'll pull with a good PC in her!!!

If anyone knows any other non PC parts that might be causing this issue, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Cheers,

MM.

BTW - I've heard from 1 other person that their '03 636 died while shifting into third. That bike was bone stock.

==============================
Someone once said "ride faster than your demons can fly"

Alas, my demons are far faster than I...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine has died twice while downshifting slowly to a light. I'm spooked as well. It never did that before I put the PCIIIUSB on.

It hasn't done it again for me to attempt to troubleshoot it.
I think perhaps my idle was a little low and when I was downshifting
maybe it dipped too low and stalled? Who knows..

Originally posted by HoleInOne

I installed my exhaust system and PCIIIUSB last Saturday. Everything went great. I bought my schtuff from Dan Kyle and he put a Sato full system map on it since the Aratas are very similar and he doesn't have one for them yet. To the point...

On Wednesday morning my bike dies. Twice. I was downshifting since I was coming to light and then the engine goes dead. The electronics are fine, just the engine. I pull over and she starts right back up with no problems. I reach the next light and begin downshifting again. Bike dies again. Re-starts with no problems. Bike doesn't have any problems the rest of the week.

Today I was upshifting and it dies. Twice. Then it dies 4 more times through out the day - I think 3 of those times I wasn't even shifting! Thank goodness everytime she dies she's straight up! I shudder at the thought of her passing out while leaned over.

I followed the instructions closely and ground it to the negative connetor on the battery. I checked every connection as I was disconnecting the PC and they were all secure and none of the pins were bent. None of the fuel lines or any of the hoses going to the air box were pinched. Really weird!

So I get home and yank the PCIIIUSB out. She idles smoothly now and seems to pull EVEN HARDER than with the PC. WTF???

I guess I got a bad PC?? If the PC is really the problem (won't know for a while since the problem is so intermittent and sporadic) the I can't wait to see how hard she'll pull with a good PC in her!!!

If anyone knows any other non PC parts that might be causing this issue, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Cheers,

MM.

BTW - I've heard from 1 other person that their '03 636 died while shifting into third. That bike was bone stock.

==============================
Someone once said "ride faster than your demons can fly"

Alas, my demons are far faster than I...
03' ZX-6R

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got a ZX-6RR with a Akrapovic Evo exhaust and a PCIIIusb. I had no problems for the longest time then one day started doing the same things that yours are. I yanked the PCIIIusb out and have had no problems since. I called Power Commander and the guy tried blowing smoke up my ass, so I asked him if he (they) were going to pay for my bike and hospital bills if this thing does it again when I'm at a trackday or in heavy traffic and get nailed. He then connected me to someone to get a return material authorization (RMA). I will get it out to them in the mail today (6/12). I've heard of this kind of stuff happening to other people on different bikes. Usually what they tell me is the PC is junk and to pull it out. The idea behind the PC is solid, but the product itself isn't. I suggest pulling yours as well and sending it back. Maybe if they start getting a bunch back they can figure out what is wrong with it and come up with a reliable fix.

Jef
03' ZX-6RR
00' Buell X1

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My buddies RC51 died with a PC? (I think it was a II) just recently installed. he yanked it and it worked fine after that. Sold it ASAP!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Misfit, I wouldn't personally just drop the notion of buying a PCIII just on the post of one faulty unit - honestly there's thousands upon thousands of 'em out there making the motorcycles they're installed in run MUCH better. Most race teams run 'em. Even HoleInOne is mentioning he can't wait to replace the faulty one with a proper unit.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Grunt: How familiar is your buddy with the 51 and the PCII? The PCII instructions for the 51 indicate grounding the unit to the cowl lock assembly. This caused the PC not to ground properly. A quick fix is to ground it directly to the battery. I hope he tried this before selling the PC as it helps the RC's injection immensely. Mine had the same problem. :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by scootergmc

Grunt: How familiar is your buddy with the 51 and the PCII? The PCII instructions for the 51 indicate grounding the unit to the cowl lock assembly. This caused the PC not to ground properly. A quick fix is to ground it directly to the battery. I hope he tried this before selling the PC as it helps the RC's injection immensely. Mine had the same problem. :)
Couldn't tell you to be honest. He has aftermarket pipes, and he's always gotten horendous fuel economy with it...rgeardless of what pipes were on. He's not the kind of guy to just throw someting on w/o doing research and checking things out. He was also always reading the rc51 forums, so I'm sure he was aware of any potential install probs...in fact I think I even remember him mentioning something about a ground change he made before (or after) the trouble. It was fine for a while, but when it deserted him in the middle fo nowhere I think he all but made his mind up to sell it (the PC, not the RC). I am not knocking the product, just mentining teh probs he had. Could have just been a defective unit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, he may have had a defective unit. But I wouldn't give up that easy. The RC is a fabulous bike. That PC makes a world of difference. Hope it works out for him.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah the RC is quite the machine. They sound really sweet, especially when uncorked with some aftermarket cans. I rode them on a couple of occasions, but never got to truly put one through it's paces. I wouldn't do that to a bike that I didn't own.

Certainly diff than an IL4. I'm used to wringing the 600's neck. I'm always trying to keep the 6R about 10000rpm's it seems. Heck, that's redline on the RC just about LOL. Definatly an adjustment mentally when switching between the two.

For a "heavier" bike, it doesn't feel that way.. it hides it well. Seat's a tad hard, and I did find it a tad snatchy at lower RPM's...I stalled the thing the first time leaving a light LOL. But I don't want to sound like I'm negative on it (I'm not). It's a sweet bike from my experience. It has THE best brakes I've ever used.

The hardest bike to get moving from a stop I've ever found was an R6. I had to rev it a lot higher than I did on any other bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sometimes with Dan's maps you have to bump the idle a bit. I know I did when I installed Satos on my RC51. You may want to check your plugs also, if you think that your electrical systems is fine.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Heck, I just got my 03' 636 and I was getting off the interstate, and so I pulled in the clutch lever, and started to downshift and mine cut off on me. I just let out the clutch and it fired right back up...just like push starting it...but mine is still stock with only like 325 miles on it. Anyone with any thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.