Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the bike it has 1k miles on it. When I started it up today I noticed alot of black oily stuff at the end of the pipe. I put my finger in the end of the pipe and it was wet and black?

I just put an akropovic slip-on on the bike. I don't see smoke when I rev it up.

Is this normal or what?

I also notice alot of ticking going on especially when it is cold.( my buddys say that this is normal for the kawis....

Info would be appreciated.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Ticking is normal when cold. If you're really worried, have the clearances checked in the valves and cams, but all modern kawis have the tick. It doesn't hurt anything...adds character. =)

As for the oil...even if the bike was burning oil, it shouldn't be WET oil...With an aftermarket pipe, you're going to have a lot of soot that will rub off thick if you wipe at it. Even if your bike is tuned lean as hell, you're still going to get soot build up from cruising and idling and such. It could look oily if it was wet from something else (dew, rain, condensation in the pipe evaporating as the bike warms, etc.) Basically if there was really wet oil on the tip of the exhaust, the bike shouldn't be running anymore, period, or else it'd be running like shit and spitting out tons of blue smoke all the time. It would have to be spitting oil up through the crank case into the cylander wall and out the exhaust valve, and be pushed all the way out to the exhaust tip...basically that'd only happen if you have a seriously bent rod, cracked piston, scored cylander wall, etc...and it'd take some serious damage to get that oil out there without it being burned off. So...as long as the bike's running and not smoking up a storm, I can't see how it could really be oil.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Yep...I understand the worrying. Kawi motors are usually bulletproof. I had an older ZX-6E with over 48,000 miles on her when I totaled her, and to that day the only engine work I ever had done were oil changes, periodic valve adjustments, spark plugs, carb cleaning, etc...the usual stuff. Still had perfect compression across the board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.