Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

i have my friend's 06 gsxr front end. im trying to swap my forks for his because my forks are leaking and im sick of fixing seals, sanding it down removing imperfections and it still leaks. im getting this front end for free.

can this swap be done? has anyone done this before? any info? i feel that the forks of both are the same!

information would be really appreciated!

thanks

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
have you measured?

What about the rotor placement? fender attching placement?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
hey,

i have my friend's 06 gsxr front end. im trying to swap my forks for his because my forks are leaking and im sick of fixing seals, sanding it down removing imperfections and it still leaks. im getting this front end for free.

can this swap be done? has anyone done this before? any info? i feel that the forks of both are the same!

thanks
lol does your friend know you have his forks for free? jk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've had mine sanded a coupla times and both times i still have a leak from my left one. lol my friend lives up in norcal and he let me use his front end. infact he thinks that the front end will fit just fine.

what things do i need to measure to see if its a fit??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fork length, fork diameter, rotor placement, front tire axel, caliper fitment, caliper placement, the possibility of your front tire not working with the gixxer axel, the possibility of the calipers/rotors not lining up correctly.

Really WTF? Did you even give this a critical thought? If it works more power to you, but good luck.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
you can't (to my knowledge) just sand imperfections out of a fork.. you're left with a divot where material used to reside..

and on top of that, you'd have to have them replated. that shiney chrome surface isn't just for looks..

suzuki in my opinion does alot of PLAIN FUCKING RETARDED engineering.. trust me.. i've worked on zooks that i wish their designer was present.. they almsot never follow a normal way of doing things.. ideally, you could swap the movable sections out and be done. after all, thats whats actually leaking..

inner and outer diameters and length and a bunch of other stuff will have to transfer in order for that to work.. i mean, i don't know what your mechanical level is.. you might e a machinist and fabricator.. good. .then you know what to gauge out.. but, it might be a little easier just finding a local hydraulics shop and having them turn and replate your forks, or finding another set on fleabay or from a salvage yard..

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey,

thanks
u dont sand... u have to hone them... also.. that shinny chrome surface is what results after honing steel.. it has to be enough clearence for the seal to move around the damage... also.. it has to be very smooth... so the damaged area will not tear the new seals... it can be a little out of round.. but the head where the seals are on has to fit... and the seal has to be in contact with the cylinder wall at all times for a leak free fit... there are ways to repair it.. but.... u need a small hydralic jack and 2 halves of the ID of the cylinder and fit the jack between the 2 halves of aluminum or steal halves and press the jack out ... the halves have to be bigger than the damaged area so when the damaged area is pressed out .... u will see the halves bottoming out on the good parts of the bore... but that has to be done by a pro.... and im not there to do it for ya..LOL
also. dude..... on ebay u can get 1 fork or both... just look for it.... there is another thing u can do.. is to go to sac cycle dot com ... i think thats the site.... its a scrap yard... lots of cheap parts...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
critical thought is why i'm here fyi hartlin

i'm gonna get to measuring everything and see if it matches.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok... it can be done with some mods done to it... first of all... take both front ends to a machine shop... get a machinist to measure the ID (internal diameter) of both bores... and compare... next... the OD (outside diameter) of the shaft that runs thru it... u may have to sleve a bore to fit the bearings or may not...or u may have to bore out the bearing surface to fit a Kaweee bearing to keep it stock... my advice is to get a machinist to do the measurements and the math for u... anything can be fitted up to any bike.. as long as u have the proper fitment of the bearings and know where the critical points are...

also u may have to change the shaft for the triple from the gixxer to the kaweee...

have fun.. if i were close by i would do it for ya.. but.. im in the middle of the pacific.. ...lol

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
if the length and i.d and steps all taper to within a few thousandths, then you can use them.. you'll have to ensure their bushings and locks and all fit and slide well, and that the bottom of the spring and cartridge assembly line and bolt up, as well as seal..

then again, you might be able to change the eintire tube out.. that would be better.. try using the kawi triple trees and entire gixxer fork tube.. now that i think about it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts