Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 636 is leaking oil but i can't find a leak, the oil light came on i added 1 quart, there was none in the oil window glass. After that quart still no oil in the glass. So i drained the oil and added a fresh supply of oil. I still have not seen a leak, thinking about riding it for a few days then taking it to the dealership( I have the extended warranty. It's obvious it was leaking oil. Any suugestions, here are some pics i took before i cleaned it up. By the way there was also oil all over the kickstand assembly. Any advice would be great thanks in advance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you dont have acess to flourescent oil dye/blacklight you can clean it off real well(with brake clean or degreaser). After completely dry you can use athletes foot powder spray to locate leak. Just spray suspected area with powder and leak wil show up as source shows itself. (a trick I learned as a teen working at bike shop)

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I would just guess the shifter shaft seal before anything, either that or your grossly oil your chain and thats just the residual oil flinging off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would recommend cleaning it up for now and checking it more often to see if you can spot the oil leak. oil has a tendency to travel so it coudl be coming from anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Clean the bike up real good with degreaser and leave the fairings/plastic off. Once it's all clean and dry, change the oil and make sure you have the proper amount in the crankcase. Then start the bike and watch where you start to see any oil. Have an assistant twist the throttle if need be so you can watch out for leaks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fella's, I cleaned the bike up, changed the oil and now i see no leaks. I know something had to be wrong though because last time there was hardly any oil in her. I'm just gonna wait it out and see if it happens again. It's due for a service pretty soon so when i take it to the dealership i will have them check it out since i still have the warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It may not leak until the oil pressure rises to a certain point. If you just watched for leaks with the bike idleing, that may not do the trick.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
from the looks of the one pic, you can see very little oil to the left of the pan, then more torward the one side which makes me wonder if its the oil pan.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Check and tighten all your oil pan bolts, you would not believe the vibration these motors produce.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm betting it's your drain plug. Is there any oil to the front of it?

Keep in mind you got air blowing through there. The leak should be near the start of the oil residue.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally posted by NK
Any other suggestion anybody?
I had the same problem, I had to change the oil pan gasket. Make sure when you change it to check and clean the internal oil screen filter as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for info gonna order the gasket tomorrow, anybody know a good internet site to buy the gasket from? It's like $18.00 at my local dealership suppose it will be about the same on the net from somewhere else after shipping.

·
Registered
857 Posts
spend ther 18 and get it on the bike alot sooner...downtime sucks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just bear in mind though my friend....you crack that motor open and kiss that extended warranty bye bye.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good point about the warranty, i may just take to the dealership after all. I hate to have downtime at all.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have exactly the same "oil leak" on my 03 zx6r , mines down to the automatic chain oiler i have fitted. The excess oil gets flung off the front chainwheel and collects under the cover. Leaks down the left side of the fairing and engine.
What do you use to lube your chain?
If its a grease or wax it could collect under the cover and with heat will soften and lose viscosity and drain down the engine and fairing. Thus the oil leak with no loss of oil.
Maybe the same
[?]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.