Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2004 10R used and, while it seems to run fine, at idle (and slightly above) there is what I would call a quite loud whine or whirr coming from the front of the engine above and beyond the normal clicks and low pitched running noises. No other bike I've had has sounded like this. Since I don't know anyone else with a ZX10 to compare sounds with, I was wondering if that's normal for this engine or if it's something wrong in the cam/whatever? From my verbal description, does this sound like yours does, or might I pay a visit to my local motorcycle mechanic? Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My bike has the same sound, as did my rc51. I have never really looked into it but i assumed that since my rc made this sound because of the gear driven cams (as opposed to chain) that this is the reason for the 10r's noise. I could be wrong, but it has never affected the performance of the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks guys for the reassurance...
I had always had a lukewarm at best opinion of Kawis, but this bike makes me do a complete 180 (along with my bud's 636)... it's got great handling, best gearbox of any bike i've ridden, and put together so that it's not a pain in the ass to take apart when you need to.

Kawi trademark? My bud's 03 636 doesn't make that sound at all! ;-P

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by extremelean
To be exact....The noise you hear is the High speed generator.
:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't have a 10R but the ones I've ridden have that whine to them. My 6RR has that same noise but not as loud as the 10Rs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.