Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '03 with a bunch of mods that has been down once with real light plastic and case damage. if the '04 is really going to be that much more powerful and just all around better i am considering picking one up and swapping all the mods from the '03 over to the new bike and putting the new plastic off the '04 onto my '03 then selling it. does anyone have any official kawaski horepower quotes or dyno sheets showin this "huge" power increase they are claiming over the '03?

bottom line is the '04 zx-6rr going to be that much better of a bike that i should take the time to do this? i am most likely doing a few races next season and the bike will be on the track a lot whether i race or not.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,589 Posts
All that I've read says that the 04 model supersports from Kaw are not being upgraded. As a side note, has anyone ever dynoed a 6rr. I've seen the 636 at 105 hp but no mention anywhere of the 6rr.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would check out the Kawi offical website and note the differences there. Some England mags have stated that the new 6rr will be the bike to beat. Yet, with that said, IMHO I would consider if those improvements to the bike will really help you improve lap times. I know that the gearing and grunt has been changed for the better, but the 03 still is a formidable weapon at the track, especially w/ the slipper clutch. If your riding will truly benefit from the new bike, get it. If the cost outweighs the benefits, forget it and wait another year or two when someone who only rode around the neighborhood decides to sell.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Monstermack
All that I've read says that the 04 model supersports from Kaw are not being upgraded. As a side note, has anyone ever dynoed a 6rr. I've seen the 636 at 105 hp but no mention anywhere of the 6rr.
There certainly are some changes for the 6RR.
"new cams, larger intake valves, a revised intake system and new gear ratios for the six-speed transmission"
Thats from motorcycle.com
Also some asthetic changes, like a black frame..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here's the scoop for the 2004, from www.mcnews.com.au:

Kawasaki are claiming the 2004 ZX-6RR is more race focused than before, further diverging from the ZX-6R even more this year.

The main difference from the 2003 ZX-6RR Kawasaki are as follows;

* New cylinder head
* Piston crowns changed to suit revised combustion chambers
* Larger valves (Intake up by 0.5mm)
* More aggressive camshafts
* Valve springs are new while retainers have been changed to lightweight sintered aluminium
* New twin injector fuel system (Secondary injector in the airbox)
* New breathing passageways in cylinder to improve crankcase breathing and reduce losses
* Closer ratio gearbox (similar to race kit item)
* New fork settings (New damping rates and internals)
* New diamond-like-carbon coating on fork inner tubes
* Rear suspensions lower spring holder is electrostatically coated to prevent corrosion
* Matt black frame and swingarm
* Green drive chain
* Redesigned airbox with a removable duct (when duct is removed more power results)
* Ratios for the oil and water pump gears have changed to reduce mechanical loss

·
Registered
534 Posts
sounds like a plan! :D 10R? 6RR? BOTH? I wish :(

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it look like most of the changes aside from the FI and the asthetics would be pointless to spend the extra money on when i could just purchase race kit parts for about the same price and end up with a better bike in the end for the same money. i'm really digging the flat black frame though:(

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I went to the K-tech update last month they said that there were a bunch of changes. Mostly to the motor like stated in the above reply. The Kaw rep said that it has about 5 more horse than last years model, and it had enough changes to it that they decided to change it from the K(zx600k1, 04' should have been zx600k2) model to I believe the L model (zx600L1). I also asked putting a steering damper on it stock, and he said that they don't put it on because of cost.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Originally posted by Kilrrex
please tell me thats at the flywheel
That's at the flywheel. ;) The RR still isn't quite up to the power level of the 636, but it's quite a bit closer than it was last year- keep in mind, though, that like the '03, the bike is meant to be ridden with the race kit parts installed. Installing the entire kit and tuning the bike properly will net you a few hp more than the 636, but it's all above 10K. Below that, the 636 still rips it's lungs out due to the increased torque and stronger midrange.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Guys... MY post has been edited to correct my "correction" of falconeight. Sheeesh.

You misunderstand me and call ME senile ??? [}:)]

Just wait till I get the chance to roost you outta the twisties now CDN... ;) Senile... pfffft... this senile ol' bugger is lookin' forward to showing ya up now ya young whipper snapper...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.