Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so recently I sold my 2000 ZX6R and am looking to upgrade to either of these. I like the looks of both, all black. I like the headlights of the 05 but the exhaust of the 07. Are the 07 projector headlights? Price isn't THAT big of a difference between the two. If I were to get a 05-06 I would look to spend about $5500. For a 07 they can be had for around 6800, but for a little more I could get one new. Now for some questions. What would be a good OTD price for a '07 that a dealer might still have(I have seen a range of 7300-8700, not OTD though). Also, I havent bought a vehicle new before or gotten a loan for that matter, but what would be an expected interest rate(prob a 3 yr loan) for about 3-4k from a dealer for a 20yr old with 0 late payments, National Guard, College student, etc.? My bank dosent have a motorcycle loan and vehicle loans dont apply so I would have to get a personal loan with a high interest rate(USAA).

Any big advantages that either has over the other? I will be using for a 8 mi city commute to school.

I tried search the topic, but "vs" is too short, years vary a lot(ie 07 2007 07-08), and "comparison" brings up a lot. Also if I go used I am looking for never laid down and less than 6k miles.

So...
05-06 or 07-08 (just looking for input)
New or used if 07-08
Expected OTD price for 07 from dealer
Interest rate from dealer, guestimate

On a side note, for my 00 ZX6R it was 40 for liability and they quoted me about 150 for full coverage. What would you do? What do you pay for full coverage? I didnt search for this.

Thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
You would have to check your credit score, to see how you would qualify. The 636 is a much faster bike, yes the 07 up have projectors. 05-06 had some problems(I think trans, I read it in that forum).

Some 07's have notorious oil leak, which is fixed with new gasket/bolts.

I have a 07 and love it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After searching on USAA's website I found they do have RV loans that can be used for motorcycles.

Motorcycles, Personal Watercraft, Snowmobiles and ATVs (New Dealer Purchase only)

More incentive to get an '07 I suppose.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You can also use your credit union for a loan, you can use Penfed.

The 636 were high priced in my area and also are a stunter favorite, so that made it hard to find good ones. I think you can't go wrong with either bike.

If you get a loan on your bike, somre require full coverage. You would want it in case you crash or it gets stolen. Otherwise you will be paying for a bike for 5 yaers that you do not own/ride.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Your 12 Month Progressive Quote
Pay in full: $3,370.00 Pay monthly: Downpayment of $561.45
11 payments of $290.24

YIKES
Full coverage with no custom/gear coverage and 1000 deductible.

Dont think I am going to pay the bikes worth in two years for insurance.

Geico
Thomas, your 12 month policy rate is
$5,304.90 You can start your policy for as little as $667.12*
$3400 is collison but still...

Looks like I might want to look into some personal loans.

·
Registered
537 Posts
try state farm I'm 26 and have nothing on my license in the last 7 or 8 yrs and I pay around 350 a year full coverage with low deductibles.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I like the 05-06 body style better than the 07-08. However they both are great bikes, so it basically boils down to what you like and can afford. +1 on the State Farm Insurance, they ar eby far the cheapest out there!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Don't buy something you can't afford...I personally own everything I have, so I can't really say much, but I know friends who are in deep dept because they're not financially as well off...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
try state farm I'm 26 and have nothing on my license in the last 7 or 8 yrs and I pay around 350 a year full coverage with low deductibles.
Hmm... I'll check with them and update, also I had a ticket about 2 years ago. 11mph over down a hill...

Online quotes for boats, business, or motorcycles are not yet available. Aww...

Don't buy something you can't afford...I personally own everything I have, so I can't really say much, but I know friends who are in deep dept because they're not financially as well off...
I can afford it, but its a matter of whether I want to wait a couple of months to get the money. What I am probaly going to do is a free loan thing with USAA. Where you put an equal amount to the loan in a CD which has the same interest rate as the loan. I'll just take my house saving mutual fund money and move it to a CD. It will also help my credit so in the future when I do get a house loan it will pay for itself with the better rate.

·
Registered
228 Posts
move to Florida you don't have to have insurance. though some banks will not give you a loan unless you have it. i don't think anybody could tell you what your interest rate would be, if your serious call USAA since your in the Army get a motorcycle loan. if you want it you can get a loan you just have to make it happen if your score is bad you'll need a co-signer. you say money is no real concern, throw some cash and get a small loan. thats what i did. got mine yesterday.
'05 zx636 - Mint. 3500miles for $5800. check my thread in the '05-'06 zx6 forum.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hows the tranny shifting with the 05-06? I know my 00 would clunk into gear. Do the 05-06's have a slipper clutch like the 07's?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
move to Florida you don't have to have insurance. though some banks will not give you a loan unless you have it. i don't think anybody could tell you what your interest rate would be, if your serious call USAA since your in the Army get a motorcycle loan. if you want it you can get a loan you just have to make it happen if your score is bad you'll need a co-signer. you say money is no real concern, throw some cash and get a small loan. thats what i did. got mine yesterday.
'05 zx636 - Mint. 3500miles for $5800. check my thread in the '05-'06 zx6 forum.
I wouldn't say money isnt a concern, just I can afford to buy a bike :). Also if I get a loan through USAA insurance would be $5700 through them yearly. So... I am getting liability. I plan on getting a small loan or waiting a bit and not get one at all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
just take your time but you know that your gonna crave more a bike. if your gonna get a 636 just make sure its super clean otherwise go in on a new bike. but remember used is way cheaper then new. just find a good one and get it once your ready

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some of these tranny problems are scary reading through the 636 section... although rebuilding the tranny would be a fun winter project.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For a 07 they can be had for around 6800, but for a little more I could get one new. Now for some questions. What would be a good OTD price for a '07 that a dealer might still have(I have seen a range of 7300-8700, not OTD though).
OTD price is going to vary due to tax / title / registration cost differences based on where you are, so for a good comparison you're really looking for the selling price + any setup and doc fees. i just bought a left over, new '07, a couple weeks ago. $7999 OTD in socal, or $7225 + tax/title/reg.

i've heard of folks getting '08s for about that price OTD, but nobody around here would come anywhere close to that on an '08, and i was a cash buyer. went in with my moola, said i have a $7999 OTD quote, i'm buying today, cash, how close can you come to that price? ever other dealer was like, dude, go get that bike, it's a killer deal...

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
buy what you can PAY for, imho i'd go w/ the 05/06 636 just because the differences aren't that drastic & the midrange is better, the suspension on the 07/08 is a bit better but not enough to make me sell the 636 & buy the 07+ , my bet would be on a 05/06 if i was buying, mainly because they are cheaper & still a modern technology ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cash is not always king, they rather make money of you using their financing.
i know, and i told them i would finance if it made a difference in price. it didn't.

the reason you let them know you can be a cash buyer is so that they know you are a serious buyer, and that you can buy even if the financing doesn't come through

1 - 20 of 41 Posts