Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do u guys think.

Ran 2 194 sockets i bought from AutoZone, ran the wiring to a switch I installed next to the gauge. And with Hyper green bulbs, SO SICKKK!! And they can be turned on/off whenever i flip the switch no ignition has to be on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
sweet lights! heh, don't drain your battery leaving those things on!! I think I'll run mine through my running lights whenever I get around to it..

·
Registered
785 Posts
DUDE! That's sick!

PM me instructions and the parts used if you can, that looks sick as hell and I would like to do it!

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my way is a little different. Its wired up to a stand alone switch , so if your just sitting in a parking lot pimpin' it, put them up to get some looks haha..

Heres how I did my City Lights.

Tools Required
Normal hex keys
Drill
1/2 inch drill bit
Wire cutter
Wire Stripper

Parts Required:
(2) 194 Sockets (Ford, GM cars) Available at AutoZone, PepBoys, Advance, etc.
(1) Roll of 14-16 Gauge Wire, any color.
(2) 194 Bulbs, come in almost every Kawi color, red, green, blue, etc
Various Termials
(1) Toggle Switch (w/LED light for coolness)

Step 1:
Take off both panels that you would take off to replace the headlight bulbs.

Shown Here:

Step 2: After you take off both panels, this is what you will see, keep in mind i took these pics AFTER install. So the bulbs are already installed.
Shown Here:

Step 3: Locate this part where you will need to drill the hole. It looks like a 4MM bolt head sticking out with a circle surrounding it.

Step 4: Take a 1/2 Drill bit and drill SLOWLY!!! through this to open it up. TIP: Do not push hard, its very soft plastic the bit will do its job with ease. If you push too hard u can go right through and hit the headlight housing itself and you will make a nice mark in it. The 194 socket is a little bigger than 1/2 So just round it out more, open up the hole untill the 194 bulb socket fits in tightly.
The hole should look similar to this. Make sure u clean up the plastic shaving you dont want that inside your headlight.
Shown here:

Step 5: Now look at the sockets, They have 2 wires coming off, find out which one is power and which is ground. Just touch the bare wires to the battery and see which ones on either side of the battery illuminate the bulb.

Step 6: Run 2 wires from the battery 1 power and 1 ground, make sure you have enough slack to reach the switch wherever you decide to mount it.

Step 7: Drill 1/2 hole in the gauge support bracket. Install the switch, tighten it down.

Step 8: Now splice together the POWER wire coming off the right bulb socket with the power wire coming off the left side bulb. Then connect those wires to the ACC terminal off the switch.

Step 9: Pick up the GROUND wire off the battery which you ran in Step 6. Now take both GROUND wires coming off the bulb sockets (usually black) and splice them together then connect it to the GROUND terminal off the switch.

Step 10: Now pick up the POWER wire off the battery which you ran in Step 6. And connect it right to the POWER terminal off the switch. You might want to use a fuse, but which this small amount of power its not necessary.

Step 11: Check to see if the bulbs work

Step 12: Put the covers back on

ENJOY

Hope this directions where good enough for everyone. PM me if you need additional help.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's hot, I hope to have time and can figure out how to run the wires to do the same to mine.

--Anthony

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats cool, Change whatever you want. I did my best for ya guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone used this mod for blinkers, yet? Are they bright enough? You can't really see my flush mounts during the day, and I'm looking for options to be a little more visible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this mod last night. Well close to this. Took about an hour. I moved my turn signals up there. They are visiable to oncoming traffic. I cant really see them when they're blinking(hyper/fast style). I'm probably going to try to wire for running lights. This is relatively easy. I did get some plastic shavings inside of the left side. I will try to vacuum them out later. Next step is to make a block off plate for removed signal housing. Good instructions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, I need someone who knows a good amount about using an on/off switch to control the running lights. I ran the power and the ground to my battery, installed my switch and ran the wires to my lights. Now, when I hooked all the wires together and turned the switch on all the wires melted and smoked like crazy. Now, what this means to me is when I opened the circuit on the switch it just completed the connection between the ground and the power. My switch has two prongs coming out the back of it and one slot with no prong, its just a slit in the back where it looks like there should be a prong. One would be power, one would be ground and what is the other one? ACC? Do I need another part to my on/off switch? Does something go into that open slit? Someone help me out here please.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just did this mod today last night i changed the backlight on the speedo to blue with a white, red line;)
and i have blus lights in the headlights hooked to a seprate switch so i can turn them on and off when police are near by , due to them having a problem with blue lingts on stuff lol

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did this mod, but instead of just wiring them up like a regular light I wired them up to my turn signals. I put orange 12V high intensity leds in there. Once I get them time I am going to take my stock turn signals off and glass the hole on the plastic.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts