Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
on here roaming and reading alot so i dont post alot, however i need you help, so like the title says i'd like to know those of you whom are running a full exhaust, head pipe back to muffler is there any difference between the primaries vs. the stock?? or is it just because the after market head pipe doesn't have a cat on it?

thank you
-sean

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a full akra system and the head pipe is slighty bigger and shaped different. I would assume the bigger tubing would flow better as well. No cat is a bonus and the aftermarket headers are lighter too I think

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow seriously only one reply, man thanks alot for the help.

thank you ninjaripper for replying, the reason i want to know is, i want to go a full system of some sort so that when i finally have juice on the bike i want the smoothest flow i can get and a buddy that has a 06 r6 says that he has a guy that can cut the cat off and re weld in a catless y-pipe for like a 100 bucks (which is what he did), when i mentioned the full system he said not worth the money go this route because the primaries are the same size ect.
but if in fact they are larger then full sys it is.

thanks
-sean

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
there can be some differance in the header pipes. most aftermarket pipes are going to be a larger diameter, than the stock pipes. some are going to be stepped diameter.

that being said, i could get into a lengthy discussion about how bigger pipes is not alwase better, and how i using a stepped design is better, and the common misconceptions about exhausts. but that would take a while.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
the other think about aftermarket pipes, is (with akra for example) they put a lot of R&D into the actual shape of the pipes, both the bends and the pipe itself, to insure the optimum flow. So there is a little more to it than just cut and weld... but it depends on what you're really looking for...

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
If you are going to put a full system on ... one other thing to note BEFORE you put the headers on is that you will need to put a shorter oil filter on. If you don't, you will not be able to fully unscrew the stock size filter because it will hit the header pipes. At least that is the way my Akra is. The shorter filter I use is the Mobil 1 MT-108.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I got a full AKRA EVO and the header and the rest of the pipping for that matter has a bigger diameter. As stated above a shorter oil filter will be needed, I personally use a K&N oil filter and have had no removal problems. Go with the full, you wont be dissapointed as long as you get a good custom tune for it too!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
the other think about aftermarket pipes, is (with akra for example) they put a lot of R&D into the actual shape of the pipes, both the bends and the pipe itself, to insure the optimum flow. So there is a little more to it than just cut and weld... but it depends on what you're really looking for...
True ! AKRA is the only header pipe for our bike that I have seen that has the "cobra head" design just after the mating flange,

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you guys for the helpful responses, thats what i thought myself about the aftermarket head pipes/full sys for the matter but my buddy said to check with other 636 owners to make sure, cause according to him most of the companies that make full sys for his r6 arent always larger primaries, hence the cutting out the cat and welding in a new y-pipe, works great for them.
now what i am personally going for is a drag set up (i like drag racing), but i want a full sys to give me a good flow over stock when i finally put a good tune and nitrous on the bike.

thank you
-sean

ps.
helo-pilot,
i love you avitar i thought mine was bad ass but yours just blew mine away.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you go full Ti system you'll save a ton in weight aswell. I think my headers alone weigh more than my entire BEET system tip to tail.

Stock is like 22-24 lbs and BEET is 8.36

1 - 10 of 10 Posts