Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
1st ger jumps.

I always hear about the 05-06 zx's jumping out of second but I've never heard of anyone having an issue like mine and I can't find any answers.

I have an 05 and it ONLY jumps in 1st gear. I think around the same rpm too (about 7k). I usually just shift before I hit it though. If I do hit it, I can decelerate and get on it again and not have it jump.

It doesn't jump out of gear. It just lurches forward. The guy I bought it from dropped it pretty hard on the left side, so does anyone think that replacing shift forks and drum would fix my problem?

·
Registered
310 Posts
What happens if you keep pressure on the shifter and run it up past 7K? Make sure there isn't anything restricting the movement of the shift lever to include spraying some WD40 on that piviot bolt to make sure it isn't sticking any. Sometimes we miss the obvious..........I've done that.......:(

·
Registered
64 Posts
What happens if you keep pressure on the shifter and run it up past 7K? Make sure there isn't anything restricting the movement of the shift lever to include spraying some WD40 on that piviot bolt to make sure it isn't sticking any. Sometimes we miss the obvious..........I've done that.......:(
After reading this I went outside and took her down the road, holding pressure on the Shifter. It's done this since I bought the bike and I've always just shifted early. I noticed however that it's starting to happen at different RPMs. it did it once at Eight, once at Eleven and once more somewhere along the range. The only thing that I noticed when I looked down was that my kickstand spring was pretty darn near toughing my lever. (the previous owner somehow bent my kickstand so it has a slight curve to it. I'm going to go outside and loosen everything up and see if I have full range on my shifter... if only I didn't let a buddy borrow my stands. lol

Thanks for the overlooked input. I'll let you know what happens.

One good thing came out of my ride today though... I got rid of my chicken strip :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread hasnt been touched in almost 2 months, but I wanted to know if this is the same process to change the shift forks on a 05 zzr600? Ive asked 3 people and they all say the case has to be cracked. I'm capable of doing the shift forks if this is the same for the 05 zzr600. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome thread, and a good read. Thanks for all the input from all the different folks who contributed.

I was just wondering if someone (in human terms) how all of these parts work together. I know we have gears, dogs, shift drums, shift stars, and shift forks. How exactly does the entire process work?

I'm just noticing that my shifting requires more effort lately, but I'm not having any issues with gears popping out or grinding. I've always shifted without the clutch, and it's always been smooth and properly revmatched. I have a 05 636.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Brand new to the forum. 2000 ZX6R having some severe tranny issues. Was riding one day and all of the sudden she wouldn't downshift lower than 4th. Stopped the biked, checked her out and rode the shit out of the clutch to limp her home. Had only 4th &5th gears. No spring in the shifter, its either up in 5th, or down in 4th. Any ideas? About to tear her down and split the case just to see what I can see.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm gonna say on that year you won't have to split the engine, but lay it on it's side and pop the clutch out to get to everything. It will be a major PITA, but then it's all about the $$.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thank you for answer , i wish dogs will be ok .... will do this job in few weeks , or days . will write about it . it's just pop out in second some times , in neutral . that's it , on trackday it's ok , maybe because in racing gear shifting is more agressive . even if dogs will have some wear on it , is it possible to change just forks and drum , for solve this problem ????

·
Registered
310 Posts
One thing I have done to my bikes is flip the shifter to "GP" shifting. 1 up 5 down. I would hold my foot on the shifter for 2nd and 3rd gears. It was too late, the damage was done, but the few more times out on the track and street, it did help. My ZRX problem "WAS" caused because the shifter wasn't sticky from chain lube. Beat it up at Barber one year and found out that was the cause, not the gear box. Hard lesson learned on 2 bikes. I did buy the Star Shift Kit for both bikes when I repaired them. When you replace the drum and forks, take a picture in there if you can because I think I mentioned in post earlier, I think it's the middle fork, you can put it wrong and you won't be able to shift at all. Don't feel bad, I have to pop the head off my Camry again.....another burnt valve!!!!:mad::mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok , thank you very much. yes i read all this theme here , and i will mark fork with something to put it right way . hope it will works good , because i don;t want to split engine .will see what damage will be inside .

·
Registered
3 Posts
All, hello.

I'm on my second 2006 636, sold the first one for no good reason, other than to buy a Daytona 675 for the most part. My wife was going to keep the first one, but decided it was too much bike, so I sold it. Then I realized that I should always have a 636 in the garage, just because of the sheer comfort of it. It's literally the most comfy sport bike I've ever owned....then sold....then owned again, but I digress..

Bought this one, at a steep discount, because of an intermittent gear issue. Let's play...

Gears 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 all engage smoothly upshifting and also, with a throttle blip doing back down.

Gears 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 all stay engaged when the bike is ridden spiritedly.

However, gear number 3 and only 3, will slip when applying light throttle. "Cruising" amount of throttle, if you will. If accelerating briskly in 3rd, or blipping back down into 3rd, everything seems fine.

First thought is clutch. That's what it feels like when you intentionally slip the clutch, but only in 3rd gear? Nah, probably not right? So, using my mad googling and forum search skills, we're probably looking it shift fork(s), drum and/or gears, yes? Correct me if wrong, but if it were a fork or drum, it'd have a hard time going into gear, correct? And if it were worn dogs on the gear, it'd come out (slip) under hard or brisk throttle, but more likely to stay engaged during light throttle, yes?

Is my logic flawed? Obviously, the pan has to come off and first step is to inspect as much as I can without removing the engine, but I though I'd ping the braintrust here first. Seems like the majority of trans problems are the 2nd gear false neutral or 2/3 gear problems under hard acceleration. My issue the exact opposite..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
so , here is what i see , after chopeed my oil pan and clutch basket . what do you think ? i think it's worn hard ...also have inspect worn by manual and everything it's in change condition . have already order drum and 3 forks . on gears there is no problem i think . i can't turn it to see every of tooth , but seems that they are cool . hope i will works fine after i change this parts , that i order .

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will this be the same procedure for a 2000-2002 zx6r?
All the same without cracking the case like you did here?
Having problems with mine too so I need to bump this lost hhaha

101 - 117 of 117 Posts