Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I used bikebandit.com to lookup the parts number on shift forks for my 05 ZX6R and found it said 13140 and 13140A. After cross checking it with other years and models, multiple bikes shared these part numbers. So I found a good deal and bought a pair off eBay from an 06 ZX14. After closer inspection there appears to be 3-4 digits after the 13140 on other Kawi websites. So these shift forks I bought may not be compatible.

Anyone have any insight on this? Are these parts interchangeable or not so much?

If not, that's where I'll be looking to buy shift forks and a shift drum for my 2005 ZX6R.

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
yes, i ran into that before.
not sure which site it was.
but they had left off the extra digits also, and the parts were completely different.

but...SOMEWHERE i have my old gears, and probably my invoice from having it done, if you really need the part numbers.

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, well that kinda blows. Oh well I only paid $30 shipped for the set of 3 forks plus the shift drum, so I'll be able to make that money back.

Maybe I'll call the local Kawi dealer and see if they can tell me which parts if any are compatible.

Did you go through a Kawi dealer for your replacement shift forks or did you get them elsewhere? They'll pretty much rape me at the dealership. :eek:

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
Alright, well that kinda blows. Oh well I only paid $30 shipped for the set of 3 forks plus the shift drum, so I'll be able to make that money back.

Maybe I'll call the local Kawi dealer and see if they can tell me which parts if any are compatible.

Did you go through a Kawi dealer for your replacement shift forks or did you get them elsewhere? They'll pretty much rape me at the dealership. :eek:
yes, i had it done at the dealer.
it was somewhere around $1600 total.

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i had it done at the dealer.
it was somewhere around $1600 total.
Yikes! Lol but you had your transmission opened up and swapped in new gears right?

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thats good to hear. I was hoping replacing these wouldn't be a reoccurring problem.

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
My transmission is running me $2400. Cases split, leak down and compression test as well as having them undercut and repaired. It's a race bike with a quickshifter. If you split it yourself and do all your own work you are looking at about $600 to have the fears repaired and undercut. It's actually going to be cheaper this way than replace all the gears. And it'll outlast the bike by far.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so earlier today I decided to drop my oil pan and inspect my shift forks/drum. I see minor wear on them, but nothing horrendous like I've seen other ZX6R's have.

There's a slight rub on the bottom of one i have pictured, is that enough damage to cause clunky shifting?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
There is a spec on how thick those pads on the end of the fork should be. It's in the manual.
That half moon pattern leads me to think that fork is beyond the wear limit. Extra space between the fork and gear will cause slop.
Got a picture of the drum?
If you have been missing shifts I would be looking at the drum very carefully.

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the service manual but haven't checked the widths yet. I'll probably have time to do it today, Thanks

The shift drum didn't have any parts that have been ground down on it. I've only missed maybe 3-4 shifts from first through neutral into second in the entire time I've owned it.

Here's some pics of the drum

Attachments

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a spec on how thick those pads on the end of the fork should be. It's in the manual.
That half moon pattern leads me to think that fork is beyond the wear limit. Extra space between the fork and gear will cause slop.
Got a picture of the drum?
If you have been missing shifts I would be looking at the drum very carefully.
The service manual says the forks are in spec if the fork ears are 5.9-6.00mm and need replaced if they are <5.80mm.
All of mine were 5.94-5.98mm so they're within spec.

The shift drum was also in spec, as well as the clutch. So idk what was causing the clunky shifts.

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
has anyone else ridden your bike and also gotten clunky shifts?

generally that is more a matter of finesse and skill. i know our trans are said to be clunkier than some others. but i can get smooth shifts almost every time. but *I* have to make it smooth.

my r1 was smooth no matter what. i didnt have to do anything different, just shift.

what im saying is, are you sure there is a problem with the BIKE? and not with you and how you shift?

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I bought the bike, it seemed to be much smoother. And I don't believe my shifting habits would have gone downhill

My friend whose is a motorcycle mechanic rode the bike and said something was definitely not right with it.
I rode a 05 R6 home from the dealership for a buddy of mine and there was a world of difference on how smooth his was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sorry, dont want to be stating the obvious (and no insult intended), but a badly adjusted clutch, and final drive chain can cause shifting problems also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts