Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 636 since April. My tires have about 1500mi left on them. They've never been replaced in fact the tires are dated 12/05.lol.
Anyway.... I live in NYC and I normally take it out on weekends or ride to work when it's nice out. Should I replace with the OEM Bridgestone BTO-14s or should I try something different? Or what's the preferred brand and model? Let me know please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got the Michelin Pilot Power 3's with a 120/60 on the front since they don't make a 120/65 so the option is go go for the 60 or the 70. I love the tires and they warm up real fast and turn to glue after a little zigging. I have ridin on Pilot Power 2's, and Dunlap Q2's and I would hands down buy the PP3's over those any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
BT023 if you get that one in the US. If you find 8 year old oem rubber ok, and that's not meant as a put-down, then you'll love the wear, grip and angles of lean that a BT023 will give you. I've used 120/65, 120/60 and 120/70 on my 636 C1H and they all work ok. I use my bike for a 100 mile commute, and I've got 5mm chicken strips, because there aren't many corners on the way to work. I had Qualifier II RR on my ZX10R, they are a nice compromise of wear and grip as well. I've currently got Bridgestone S20s on my Z1000 and they feel wooden, with no feedback.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Reviews about the Q3 have me convinced that they'll be my next tire choice, this coming from a Pirelli-for-life girl here :)

Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Review | A Higher Standard

pretty comprehensive review about how Dunlop made the unimaginable happen - improved the already-amazing Q2 and kept the price exactly the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i been doing pilot powers since i bought the bike and honestly have never had a reason to go with anything else, girp is there rain or dry, and life on them pretty good, but let me read up on these q3.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Ninja that I just bought came with Pilot Power, not the 2ct version. That's what they came with and they are fresh so I'll ride them till they are needing replacement. I have heard good things about them as the Power versions are mroe for higher speed and sport oriented riding so they warm up fast and are stickier, however I know they wear out faster.

I fyou are looking for something that will last longer (basically something with a thicker or harder compound in the middle) then I would recommend the Michellin Pilot Road 2. Someone mentioned the Road 3, but I honestly did not like the flamboyant sipes that lookes a little limp wristed haha. I liked the look of the Road 2 and becasue they were not the newest style they were much cheaper as well. I have these on my Suzuki SV 650. Now yes the Suzuki is not a high powered machine, but it is a Vtwin and is known for having a shitload of torque throoughout the entire RPM band. Torque pushed at the tires is what will cause a good amoutn of wear on the center if you have to do a lot of commuting or straight freeway riding. I boguht those tires specifically because they are supposed to last a long time.

really the choice is yours, but look into a sport touring tire if you want longer life. I sure as hell do nothave $300+ for tires and install every season and was looking for some that will last a good 3-4 years and supposedly the Michellin Pilot Road 2 will do that for me. So I will see how long the Pilot Power tires last and then decide what to do on the Ninja at that time. But if the softer/sticker tires (which will wear out faster) do not last that long then I sure as hell will not be going with Powers in the future and will stick with ones that will last longer. The grip should be about the same of you are not doing any aggressive track days. For all around street riding a touring tire should work best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will finally put them on for this season. I only rode 2500mi last season....this year I should push it to about 4k. I'm a little more experienced as a rider so I should be able to gauge the performance of these tires. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 06 636 just picked up michelin pilot power 3s I got the 120/70 for the front. I was told that the 120/60 was more for stunting where as the 120/70 would be better for corning. The tires are still in the bag have yet to put them on the bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts