Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently posted about some clutch noises i was havinghttp://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68424, and apparently i cant isolate sounds worth a crap. i pretty much figured out today that my chain is worn out. last night, i heard the same clicking noise while i was coasting in neutral, and it was in a regular, well spaced pattern fluctuating with my speed.

today, i put it on the stand, and spun the tire by hand...same thing, so i got worried for a second that it may be in my tranny, with all the tranny problems ive heard about lately. i took the chain completely loose from the front sprocket and turned the sprocket by hand in both directions, and everything is smooth, tight and quiet. so chain is all i could come up with. does this sound right?

so im looking to replace the chain and both sprockets as i have about 12k miles, and i dont know crap about chains. whats the best, who to buy from and all that jazz? im not too interested in performance, i want long lasting.
any help is appreciated.

N

·
0 Posts
my 04 OEM chain and sprockets lasted 20k miles

and yes a worn out chain will make a distinct noise

·
Registered
702 Posts
If your chain is worn out, these are a few other symptoms to look for.
1. Your sprockets, especially your front, will be "hooking". They will start to develope a hook shape. Unless of course you have changed your sprockets along the way without the chain.
2. The rollers of your chain will be loose. They will move with your finger tips as apposed to a new chain.This is probably what you are hearing when you ride.
3. Pull the chain away from the back of your rear sprocket. Can you see daylight through there? This is a sign of a worn, stretched chain.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i was thinking about trying one of those chains next time i have to switch. i think ill go green, to match the bike. i just wonder how bad these will show dirt, and grime. on a normal chain, its not a big deal because no one looks at them, but on one of the colored link chains, it kind of becomes a focus point, so......

how clean will it stay

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know everyone says that the chain wears out faster if you drop one tooth in front, but how much faster? am i better off going up 2 or 3 in the rear? or is there that much difference in chain wear speed?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I really don't know how much faster. The up side to changing the front is that you can go back and forth whenever you like without having to go longer/shorter on the chain. I went +3/-1 and it was too much for me. I had to remove my brand new rear to avoid getting a longer chain and just stick with the smaller front. I'm a little wishy washy on gearing, but I think I'm sticking with -1 front, stock rear.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That sound is the chain hitting the swing arm I belive. I had the same issue and thought something was wrong. It does it especially on the stand. Everything is fine and normal.

N

·
0 Posts
well i went -1 in the front after changing the 04 chain. after a few thousand miles i noticed it needed adjustment more often, and at 10k it started to make noise. could've been the fact it was a low quality chain, or could've been the smaller sprocket. all i know is im going stock, or bigger in the back if i ever wanna change the gearing on my 05.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Did the -1 upfront and after 8-10k my RK 520 was shot and same thing as Ninjakid said about having to adjust it alot. With a worn chain you will usually notice that it keeps getting loose no matter what, it will also make thump noises into the peg especially when taking off because its so loose its acutally moving off the sprocket and ridin on the tips of the teeth. If you can rattle the chain some and listen you will most likely hear pins that are worn out and chatter.

I have around 1000-1500 miles on my new RK 520 and so far its been staying in adjustment level's longer, and with 500 mile lube's its looking great. Oh ya im running the stock 15t upfront also.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just ordered my stuff. AFAM stock front and +2 rear both steel and RK520 GXW gold chain from sprocket center for $164 and some change. i guess ill see how that works.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Problem you have with a stretched out chain is you may have it adjusted right but then you hit the tight spot and it gets tighter.

I noticed on the dyno this weekend that mine was making the whole back end of the bike bounce. I got almost 10,000 miles out of it. Just ordered a DID VM2 525 chain. So I guess I have a new weekend project this weekend.

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by psycho_penguin
just ordered my stuff. AFAM stock front and +2 rear both steel and RK520 GXW gold chain from sprocket center for $164 and some change. i guess ill see how that works.
can u post part #'s?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The hell with a steel sprocket...and are you cleaning it and lubing it regularly.....thats a pretty short lifespan for a chain...esp a 520. Kawi recommends cleaning and lubing every 500 miles....don't get it done quite that often sometimes and sometimes its sooner...i just usualy hit it when i clean the bike good.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by ninjakid04636

can u post part #'s?
yeah, i will when i get them. i had to call sprocketcenter. they didnt have a kit that i wanted posted on their web page, so they had to put one together for me. should have it befor the end of the week.

i went with the steel sprocket cause i want it to last longer. i dont really care about losing some ounces for aluminum. i cleaned and oiled it about every 500, give or take, but i dropped a tooth up front about 7k ago and didnt switch chains, so i guess thats what tore it up.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I tried an RK X-ring chain once. It was cheap crap and died in 12K miles. DID ZVM only for me now. Costs a little more but is high quality and lasts. Got 24K out of my first DID and had about 12K on the second one when I sold the bike. The RK was tried between DIDs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Originally posted by psycho_penguin
That RK GXW chain is a very nice chain. Im running -1/+2 and I have put 1,500+ miles on it with barely any stretch. Nice choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.