Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Now I know that my level of believability on this is going to be about nill here but I'm going to try. To make a long story short, I bought an 05 636. 4 hours later it was stolen. While the 05 was still stolen I bought an 06 636. Got to ride it for 4 months and then IT was stolen. While I still had the 06, the 05 was returned to me.

Now for my question. When I received the 05 back it had a busted out ignition, busted gas cap, and broken foot bracket from a low side. My question is this. What other years ignitions will fit an 05 636. Reason being is that I've seen an 03 and an 07 ignition, gas cap, and seat lock go for a heck of a lot cheaper than I've seen the 05's go for. Right now the bike has a goofy slider switch on it that the thieves used to start the bike and I know that sucker aint gonna pass inspection. So, if you guys could help me out at all, I would really appreciate. Again, I know that people will be skeptical as this is my first post here but I can assure you that I abhor thieves as much as you do and am in no way associated with them. If need be, you can check my posts out on www.kcsportbike.com as I'm a rider in kansas city with both them and the kansas city sport pilots.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
The ignitions are just an electrical circuit, its the mount in the triple which is the problem. Probably getting one from an 05/06 ( same model) is your safest bet or just changing the slider to a regular switch. If you get the ignition from an 07/08 you might have to try use that triple also.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Ok, from the parts diagram they look the same, but they have different numbers.
2003 ignition, gas lock and seat lock
27005-5126, 21007-5042, 27016-5261

2005 ignition, gas lock and seat lock
27005-5133, 21007-5057, 27016-5309

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Yeah they will be different parts but a switch is a switch. If you can get it mounted I am pretty sure it will work

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Yeah they will be different parts but a switch is a switch. If you can get it mounted I am pretty sure it will work
Actually sometimes the part numbers will even match up and be the same on different years and even some different models.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
yep. And they are difficullt to replace ( for obvious reasons). Wont insurance cover it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long story short, the bike that I'm talking about, my 05, was stolen 4 hours after I got it. Unfortunatley, I wasn't able to get insurance on it before it was ganked. While that one was still stolen I bought an 06. While I had the 06, the 05 was recovered. Shortly after the 05 was recovered, with a busted ignition, gas cap, and foot bracket, the 06 was stolen. So now I'm stuck with a busted out 05 that needs the above parts just to get it registered.

Fun stuff. Fuggin thieves.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
that's shit dude.. fukin wankers.
I'd press your ins company to write it off. I wouldn't want a thrashed bike back.
Else if for what ever reason you can't or don't want to, just look at Kawi's website and match up part numbers, see what bikes have the same numbers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts