Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alexrr and I are both swapping 05 braced "banana" swingarms onto our 02 and 98 zx6r's, respectively.

I got my swingarm today so I pulled the:
1) right side peg bracket
2) rear wheel
3) shock
4) shock linkage
5) swingarm

It looks as though the 05 swingarm will drop right in with only a little bit of fab work. Here is what I have noted so far:

1) there is a plate on the right side of the swingarm that is meant to surround the pipe leading to an undertail exhaust. It has a convex shape that has interference with the right side peg bracket. I assume that this 3/16" aluminum alloy plate provides a load path, so it is necessary to keep it. A flat aluminum plate will have to be machined to replace it. This should be easy enough, using the stock piece as a stencil.

2) Whichever shock you use, 98-02 or 05, you must use the corresponding shock linkage. The reason fo rthis is that the lower clevis mount on the shock is wider for the 90-02 than on the 05.

3) Now for the pivot. You must use the stock 98-02 bolt. The chain guide on the left side of the swingarm pivot holds a steel fender washer. this must stay in. However the chain guide must be notched/thinned down around the area where the washer will press up against the boss on the inside of the left side of the frame. As for the right side it needs to have a bushing fabricated. Take the stock right side pivot bushing out of you 98-02 swingarm. This bushing will need to be replicated, only the small diameter section that goes into the pivot will have to be about 1.4mm longer than the stock one.

I have not investigated adapting the 98-02 wheel to the swingarm yet. I will update this later when I get to it. I will also try to weigh both bare swingarms to try to get a weight difference.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
sounds really cool, but why would you want to adapt the 3 spoked 98-02 wheels into the newer swingarm? you could just run the sweet looking 5 spokers and do a front end swap for the front wheel. just my opinion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everybody's a critic.

I don't have all that money to spend right now, thats why. I'm a full time student at MIT. And by adapt the rear wheels I have I mean just make sure I have the proper bushings. It isn't hard.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i dont think you should have any problem at all with the swap or the wheel i just got done with a zx9 swingarm swap and after finishing it. and realizing exactly what needed to be done to make it work it would of been easier to do the 05 but what the hell its done now. is the swingarm axle the same size for the 05 and 00-02?

what i did was just have a whole spacer made to go inside the zx9 swingarm,which uses a 27mm pivot axle. and 23mm inside so to make up the difference. worked great for me and it didnt cost much. also you will need to check the offset of the swingarms becuase it could be different. on my swap it was the same. but it is different on other bikes.
but anyways let us know how it goes and anything i can help with just shoot me a pm

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luxury,

The pivot bolt and the rear axle are the same for 98-02 zx6r, 05+ zzr600, and the 05-06 zx6r. I have only looked at the pivot blot thus far. All the pivot needs is a bushing similar to the one in the stock 98-02 pivot. it just needs to be 1.4mm longer.

I just picked up a 32mm socket and a breaker bar from Sears today. Now I'll be able to take some measurements and check out the proper lateral positioning of the rear wheel, and machine some bushings accordingly. I will post the measurments I come up with here. I'll probably make them out of hard grade stainless, heat treat and oil qunech them. Same for the pivot bushing I'll be machinging tomorrow. I'm also using the 05 rear brake bracket, but I'll check out the difference in bushing size for each scenario.

I figured I'd just post up all my info right here so that the next person who wants to do it will know what is involved.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i dont think you will need bushings once you bolt everything up there wont be any play in it. i cut my zx9 swingarm shorter than it need to be to fit in and i was going to use spacers to get it snug but after talking to several people about it they said to not worry about it. so i bolted it all up and it works great no play.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pivot looks like its going to turn out fine. Putting the 98-02 rear wheel into the 05 swingarm looks to be a bit more of a pain. The hub must be wider on these wheels because with the existing bushings it will not fit. I'll have to establish the centerline and reduce the left and right side bushing accordingly to accomodate the brake bracket.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!:D i have nothing to do [B)]

WHEN i will get it i will make it fit for 3 ours with stock wheel!!!

I already start makeing new barke bracket.

Sanya

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also started milling a brake bracket today. I will hopefully finish it tomorrow and see how it fits. I think it will be even beefier than the stock one, but maybe a few grams heavier too. But whatever, it still made of aluminum.
To fit a 98-02 rear wheel on an 05 swingarm you must shave the sprocket side bushing down by 2mm to keep the chain aligned and the wheel centered. Then you must make a custom brake side bushing and custom brake bracket because the wheel is wider than the 05.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lux,

you may be right, but I'm anal about these types of things. Also, having the wheel 2mm off center means that the chainline will be 2mm off too. And that is the sort of thing to chew up chains and sprockets.

Anyhow, I finished machining my brake bracket and bushings today. It was a total of about 5 hours of milling and turning on the lathe, all by hand, no cnc. It turned out sweet and now the wheel is appropriately centered. I'll post some pictures up later.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, i am in fact using the brake setup for the 05, but it is identical to the 98-02 brake as far as width is concerned. The problem is that the width of the wheel hub on the 02 wheel is wider than the 05, and thus the 05 swingarm is narrower overall than the 02. Thus there isn't enough room to put the brake bracket in, so an offset bracket has to be machined and used.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh yea. The swingarm and the wheel are on. I need to get a chain splitter an a new laster link so that I can put my chain through the bracing on the 05 swingarm.
Pictures and such are up at http://web.mit.edu/jaman/www/zx-6r.html just scroll down toward the end.
The one thing I have not done is to mass the 98 swingarm and the 05 swingarm to see the difference in unsprung weight induced by this conversion. Perhaps this swap doesn't provide that much needed torsional rigidity, but for the price of the swap its damn cool.
I'll post more once I've got it fully completed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
jmart,
love the swap! very good write up on your website. very interesting to see how it was done. are you doing to paint the swingarm to match or just polish the whole bike? also i have a 120 link chain i bought and didn't need its brand new never used the package was just opened. it comes with a master link. let me know if you need it ill give it to you for next to nothing

·
Registered
464 Posts
Very, VERY well done. Machining is a valuable skill when you like modifying bikes. Wish I had it. Can you post how much the whole thing cost in parts? Thanks for posting so many details, it`ll be helpful down the road for me. What I`d really love to do is a single sided swingarm swap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lux, i may be interested in getting that chain from you. Thanks for the support. I am going to be leaving the swingarm black. If anything, I'll paint the frame black too.

candyman, ya machining skills are great to have. I'm even thinking of putting together and offering a conversion kit for guys to put a 05-06 swingarm on their bikes because the swingarms themselves are cheap enough. The swingarm can be had on ebay for $150 or less. The custom brackets and machining was free to me because i made them myself at the shop. I suppose that'll have to be a posting in the classified section if i decide to offer the sale of these to others.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A conversion kit is something I might be interested in. Not for a while though. If you were to offer such a kit, an interested buyer would need to provide what parts for themselves? Just the swingarm, shock, and linkage correct?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.