Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered, as many other folks have, that the weight savings on the 2005 ZX-6R come at the expense of longevity in the footpegs. I screwed up trying to do a fast U-turn and ended up laying the bike down very slowly. When I picked it up I discovered my right footpeg was busted in half and the bracket holding the rear break was cracked. Sigh.

So I rode home and broke out the JB Weld to fix the bracket. Then I went on line to buy a replacement peg and got another rude shock. $40 for one peg?

I was casting around the garage when my eye fell on my 2002 ZX-6E. Would one of it's pegs fit? Hmmm, I broke out my trusty calipers and compared the pins that hold the pegs on each bike. Yup, the same size with the only difference being the pin on the 6R is hollow. So will a ZX-6E peg fit? Not quite, it needs a little grinding to fit. So, next step is to pull up the Dennis Kirk web site and see how much a set of aftermarket pegs for the 6E. Ah, Competition Werks Silver footpegs (part #490408) TWO for $47.99 - that's more like it. Ordered and received within a day (DK is just up the road in Rush City, about an hour North)

I got the new pegs home and used the broken one as a template. A little grinding, some filing and hey, presto I've got a new footpeg on the right side. This makes me wonder if pegs from the '02 ZX-6R or '03 ZX-6R would work, or maybe a ZX-9R?

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to replace their busted pegs on an '05 ZX-6R, the aftermarket stuff for the ZX-6E will work, with a little grinding. If you decide to go that route, take your time because adding aluminum back is much harder than griding it off:)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.