Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need everybodys input on this, the gasket is leaking oil, I need to find where I can buy this other than at the dealer, they are to fuc...ing expensive for this. I can do this my self. Please help.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are you sure it is the gasket leaking and not the rubber washers that the bolts go thru to hold the cover down. They are rubber one one side and metal on the other. The rubber side of teh washer is supposeed to facing down.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have an 04 and I keep blowing valve cover gaskets for some reason. Ive heard it has something to do with the crank vent not venting properly. Im on my 3 rd one and its leaking now too. So when I do my next tear down I have to make sure a hose is not kinked or something........ But any how I get them from ron ayers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I noticed my 04 zx636 is leaking from the valve cover as well. Great my Kawi is turning into a Harley.[:p]

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Originally posted by markt
I have an 04 and I keep blowing valve cover gaskets for some reason. Ive heard it has something to do with the crank vent not venting properly. Im on my 3 rd one and its leaking now too. So when I do my next tear down I have to make sure a hose is not kinked or something........ But any how I get them from ron ayers.
Time for the crankcase vent mod .

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well since my last post I still have the same problem. I just replaced the valve cover gasket again for about the 4th time I my buddy who is a cert bike mechanic helped me. We got everything torqued to specs and guess what I can see some oil seeping out all ready. One t hing I dont understand is that the crank vents to the air box which has a dump tube thats clear and has a plug in the end? should that plug be removed?

One thing is previously I had the cover bolts cranked down but when we did it this time we used the factory specs @ 89in lbs, which is like almost nothing. I think maybe I deformed my cover by torquing them down to much.

Any input would be helpful

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I dont think the clear plug should be removed, that should be the airbox drain if im thinking of the same thing you are seeing.. The crankcase should vent to the airbox where the fumes are drawn back into the engine, any restriction in those line(s) would/could cause oil leaking because of the pressures created in the crankcase by blow by and simply the movment of the air inside the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts