Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so this is the deal, my 6r is dying on me. heres the scenario. ill be riding for like 30-45 minutes, the bike will run like a scalded dog. now, after it gets good and hot, it will backfire everyonce in a while and when i pull in the clutch it will die. when it first started doing it, i thought it was bad gas because i had just filled up. so i drained all the gas and re-filled with new premium from a different station, also i changed the plugs, brand new NGK with the correct gapping....when the bike backfires the FI light blinks and when it dies the FI light comes on. i have to let it set for about 10 mins. after it dies cause it wont start back up...after about 10 mins. it will start and ride like a dream until it gets hot again....anyone know WTF the problem is? i figure its got to be a bad coil or CPU problems....also when these bikes throw a code like the FI light, does the CPU store this info? im asking cause it seems like a diagnostic check would not detect an issue unless it was doing it at the exact time it was being checked....dunno, im at a loss and i dont want to go replacing good parts...
PS bike has 15,000+ miles with all regular maint. plugs and filter changes on schedule. mods are: stock gutted header, k&n and a yoshi slip on, ive run with this setup for more than a year with no problems. thanks for any help guys, ride safe!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yaicks!!! Have the same thing too. But no error codes.

The CPU stores the error codes in a memory.
You have to enter into self-diagnosis dealer mode 2 to see the stored error codes.
For seing and clearing the codes see the following posts:
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...=118158&page=2 (All 3 nevada posts)
and
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=119392 (my post :p)

Now the cable wich you need to ground is an orange cable under the driver's seat.

Count the long and short blinks on the FI LED.
Long ones is decades short ones is units (ex. 3 long - 2 short is code 32)
It shows all the error codes stored one after the other and then it starts over again.

Let me know the error codes and I'll tell you what it means.

Mine was doing that without error codes so I guess it's the fuel pump that when it gets hot it stops functioning (no error code for fuel pump). I have already ordered a new one, wait for it to be delivered and see if it's the fuel pump's fault.

Happy error code hunting!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts