Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 03 rear shock is notoriously stiff and i dont weigh much and its nearly impossible to get the correct sag with me on the bike [:I]

has anyone done this ? can it be done?

afaik the 05 shock is softer ... so it should resolve my issue for less $$$ then going for an ohlins or other aftermarket shock

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, it can be done. I did it two weeks ago and have done a few hundred miles since.

The 2005/2006 rear shock is still stiff, but it feels more controlled. Hard to explain other than the valving feeling better matched to everything. The other bonus is that a comfortable setting for me is now at the middle of the shock adjustment. On my 2004 rear shock, everything was backed out as far as it could go and it was still choppy and overly stiff.

I originally intended on replacing the front fork along with the rear shock. After riding for a few weeks, I'm going to continue with just the 2005 rear shock. The front end feels, perhaps, a bit stiff, but it didn't seem to suffer from the same skittering that the rear did. The front and rear seem to be matched right now. Replacing the front fork may bring about better valving in the front, but the bike is pretty livable now.

You will need these parts from the 2005/2006:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0599/suspension/suspension.cfm?man=ka&groupid=13410&parent=12990
92049A x 2 - lower mount dust seals
42036 x1 - lower mount bushing
92153A x1 - lower mount bolt
92210 x1 - mount bolt nut

You should use the 2003/2004 unitrak assembly, but swap out the lower bushing and dust seals where the shock mounts. The lower mount on the new shock is slightly narrower, by ~2mm, so the new lower mount pieces all narrow it up. The upper mount on the 2005/2006 frame is offset quite a bit, so you must use the 2003/2004 upper mount. The width appears to be the same on the shock, so it just swaps over.

The length of the two shocks is slightly different overall, but I didn't take the time to measure eye to eye. They were very close. The only problem I encountered was some clearance was lost on the rear swingarm and unitrak mount. When the upper mount is undone, in order to drop the swingarm (say, to adjust the shim thickness on the upper mount), the lower mount and spring will contact the unitrak and rear swingarm, preventing full droop. Removing the lower mount bolt frees the rear swingarm to droop completely. There is no contact under normal operating conditions and this problem is only present when disassembling the rear end.

One side note, in rereading your post. My 2005 rear shock as the spring sag adjustment most of the way out. At 185lbs, my bike as 29mm of rear sag. There are a few threads left to increase sag a bit more.

-Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going to clarify the installation further.

When I refer to 2003 or 2004, I am referring to the B1, B2, K1, and M1 bikes. When I refer to 2005 or 2006, I am referring to the C1, C2?, and N1 bikes.

I didn't want to hassle with trying to replace the full unitrak piece. There are a couple reasons. First of all, my 2004 RR piece had grease nipples, where the 2005 R piece did not. Secondly, it looked like it required the removal of the header so one of the bolts could clear. Instead, I just unbolted parts until it looked like I had parts that could be reused. This means the 2004 unitrak piece stays on the bike (trust me, it is easier this way).

Refer to this diagram for 2003/2004 and this diagram for 2005/2006.
For the top, use the 2004 upper mount (labeled 32037 in the diagrams). This is the piece that has a bolt threaded with a 22mm nut (undone below the seat) and a small 12mm bolt that passes through the upper eye of the rear shock. The 2004 mount locates everything right in the middle. The 2005 mount is offset by approximately 1cm (you can see the difference if you look closely at the diagrams). After pulling the old shock, remove the upper mount and put it on the new shock with the old mounting hardware. This is all that needs to be done up top. The width is the same, so all we do here is conform to the frame mounting location.

Refer to this diagram for 2003/2004 and this diagram for 2005/2006.
On the bottom, with the rear shock out of the bike, you should still have the unitrak piece (labeled 39007 in the diagrams) below the swingarm, and still in the bike. There is no need to remove the unitrak piece or the links (39111). At the location where the rear shock mounts, there are two brown (I think) dust seals (92049A) on either side. Remove both and push out the metal bushing (42036A in 2004) from inside the unitrak piece. If you look into the unitrak piece, there should be a needle bearing assembly (92046) which stays in place.

Now take the unitrak piece from the 2005 bike, remove the rear shock from it if you haven't already, and carefully press out the dust seals (92049A) from the same location. The 2005 dust seals actually sit inside the unitrak hole instead of on the surface, like the 2004 seals. After pressing out the dust seals, pop out the metal bushing (42036 in 2005). The bushing from the 2005 bike is narrower because a) the dust seals sit inside the unitrak piece and b) the rear shock lower mount is just narrower. Press the 2005 metal bushing into the unitrak piece, then the press in the dust seals on either side. Now the rear shock can be installed with the 2005 mounting hardware.

With all the 2004 parts, the rear shock upper mounting bolt can be undone in order to let the rear swingarm sag. With the 2005 rear shock, the upper and lower mounting bolt must be undone in order to let the rear swingarm sag. I'm not sure how to really describe this other than pieces hit when you do the wrong mounting point first and you get to play musical bolts until it all goes together.

-Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.