Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be a vacuum problem with the fuel tank? Maybe check for leaks and blow out the breather holes.
I will check the lines again, but it seems like a vacuum problem would be able to run at idle for more than 30 minutes.

I can also open it WOT with no hesitation or fuel delivery issues.

· Registered
7 Posts
When it cuts out next time, open the fuel cap and see if there is a strong vacuum. My general bike knowledge tells me there should be a valve that lets air in as fuel gets used, if this fails (or pipes kinked, which you checked) then the vacuum will build to a point where the fuel will be starved.

You should be able to check this valve by blowing through it.

I'm sure the big boys will be able to shed more light on the problem.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it cuts out next time, open the fuel cap and see if there is a strong vacuum. My general bike knowledge tells me there should be a valve that lets air in as fuel gets used, if this fails (or pipes kinked, which you checked) then the vacuum will build to a point where the fuel will be starved.

You should be able to check this valve by blowing through it.

I'm sure the big boys will be able to shed more light on the problem.
yea, im waiting for nevada and zx6rnewbie to chime in. I forgot to open the gas cap...will do that on the way home tonight.

· Registered
277 Posts
I agree, tank not venting can be ruled out easily. I would put my spare key in the tank and ride till it starts to have and issue then reach down and open the tank and quickly close it allowing air inside, if it is fuel starving from the tank not venting it will clear up a couple seconds after opening the cap then start acting up a few minutes later.

· Registered
692 Posts
hi all, ive been looking for ansewres for pretty much the same issue except i can ride at high rps's for about 45mins then it starts bucking and sometimes stalls. my line isnt kinked anywhere, i havent tried to fing vent holes in the tank but it does whistle pretty good when it gets hot, could this be the issue or like some say, replace ecu?sorry to chime in rohde88 but maye this can also help you if we both can get some in put...

· Registered
16 Posts
i have a aftermarket exhaust. you can sometimes tell when its the ecu cause it will loose a cam sensor and crank sensor signal. if it happens for long enough you will see that the gauge cluster still has power but you will show no rpm on the gauge.

· Registered
291 Posts
I'm actually having the same problems as you right now... My bike started sputtering mid way through a nice entrance ramp and shortly afterwards stalled out. Pressed the starter button, and no luck. Turned the key to off and on position and it started. A couple miles down the road it started sputtering and then died again, thankfully into a gas station. I filled up with some fresh premium fuel thinking that it may have been a poor quality fuel issue. Didn't have any issues on my 1 hour trip back home.

I do agree it could be a gas tank vacuum issue since I opened my gas cap to fill up. The tank was able to vent at that point. I recently changed my battery as well and could have kinked up one of the lines..

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've read posts of bike with bad ecu's getting hot after 20 minutes and acting a fool. Try swapping a known good ecu before you go buying a new one if possible
I agree. Swap the ecu. That fixed mine
Looks like I'm going down this route. I've tried meeting up with some people "near" me with zx6rs, but can't get schedules worked out.

Today, I rode around the block for 20 min until it died. I sprayed compressed air/liquid onto the ECU and started it back up. Rode for what "seemed" like longer than I wouldve been able to ride from air cooling (another component).

When it was dying, could not hold RPMs above 10k and also my neutral light was blinking in and out. I think its just my battery getting weak from 10min rides and then re-starting. Gotta throw it ont he tender.

Thanks guys and I hope the ECU fixes it!

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
yeh, it does sound like the ECU.

let us know what you find out.

i had the stuttering/stumbling crap. i swapped my ECU today. but...ive been riding it without issue prior. mine only acted up on really hot days. BUT, my new ecu seemed to fix my other cold idle issue. so either way.

if you cant come up with an ECU, i can ship you my old one. like i said, ive been riding it just fine. its only on really hot days, after riding for like an hour would it act up. aslong as it went longer than 20-30 minutes for you, you would know that was the problem.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sent payment for an 05 ECU with no known issues, will update after installation
well, either USPS sucks or my building doorman sucks. Either way, I don't have the new ECU. I took off my midpipe today to see if the exhaust was contributing to ECU problems--it wasn't. Still cutting out.

Is it worthwhile to replace the relays? Specifically, I may have damaged the fuel pump relay or it may be overheating from the ground wire I soldered in place.

I used a lower guage wire for the replacement ground, maybe that is causing the gradual overheating? But I thought, larger cross section, lower resistance, less heat...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.