Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it being a beautiful day today here in Philly, I had to go and get a bike key from dealer because I lost mines over winter... I go and get it tell them the key code no problem cut in 2 minutes, drive to my bike put it in and nothing. I wiggled and everything, wasn't even budging. Drove back to the dealership tell them it didnt work and the parts guy told me that Kawasaki bike key code books are stupid because sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. We can try to cut it again but backwards from the way its telling me. I said sure try it! took it back to the back and still nothing! It gave me a little bit of wiggle room but not enough to turn it to the on position. The guy said that the only sure fire way to do it if he had the ignition then he would be able to cut the keys until it works. He said I could take it off and bring it in but its alot of work... Now is he just saying this for me to have the dealership tow it in and make even more money or is it seriously hard to do? I tried looking around the internet and the froums on how to remove the ignition but I could not find anything. Thanks for all your help!!!

Sorry its so long....feels a lil bit better from venting!​

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or is there a way that I can bypass the ignition just to get it to the dealership? NOT PERMANENT! So that I can put it back to normal after the key situtation is resolved?

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are no threads on this topic because its pretty much a 101 on how to steal a bike. No one talk about it in here. Best bet it to hire a mobile locksmith who will come to your bike and cut a new key. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand that, and I know it does not help that my slogan thingy is Drive it like you stole it lol, but is removing the ignition hard to do? I considered a mobile lock smith but thats just expensive as a the dealership.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but I am not looking to cut any of the wires. I am just going to try and take the ignition off and buy a new one, that should work shouldnt it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can some 1 tell me this: Does the stearing assembly (handle bars and steering stem) have to come off? That is what I am getting out of the service manual. thanks

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
what do you want to do?
I have 2 options for you....

sell you a complete ignition with gas cap and trunk lock with 2 keys....$80 shipped
or tell you how to wire your bike for no key.....

I dont have a key, but let me tell you this i dont leave my bike unattended ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
214 Posts
buying a keyset is probably easier than the hassle with the dealer since they aren't that expensive.

But just take the whole top triple off (with ignition attached) and bring it to the dealer, the ignition unplugs from the bike, just follow the harness back.

You just loosen the huge bolt (36mm) and the two smaller pinch bolts.

If I remember correctly, the ignition is riveted to the top triple.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou JD and Aram for the information. I was able to get the ignition off and to the dealer so they can make that key for me. I will tell you one thing with out the proper tools, its no easy task! I might know some1 who would be interested in that lock set JD

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
Sounds good, when you go to put that triple back on and it does not want to go on easy, use a floor jack under the exhaust header to lighten the front end up a bit and it will then slide right on..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again! So I took the ignition off and took it to the dealership. They were able to cut a key that kind of worked. I say kinda because in the ignition, the key can go from off to on to park (taillight on/lock). Just the lock function does not work (a lil worried). the dealership said that it should eventually work i just have to "work it" a lil. Another thing is it seems that the key does not open the gas tank and the rear seat/cowl.

After seeing the inside of the ignition I am guessing I can unsolder one of the wires that connects the power to the break light when in park and that could be used as the lock function?

Also, what could be a quick fix for the rear lock and gas tank. I dont want to really try to turn the new key to try and open it because it seems very easy to bend and then I will be shit out of luck...

·
Registered
476 Posts
try pressing down on the gas cap to take the pressure off the mechanism. if that doesnt work then you've got a problem.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
yeah one of them things for sure, once you deal with a (half ass workign key) on 2 fully properly functioning lock sets, and the ignition you have you run into the ruining the other locks.
SO your saying your ignition does not lock either?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah the ignition does not lock, the only way I can actually lock the steering stem is in the park mode but I can't leave it in park because it will kill the batterry leaving the tail light on. Hopefully I will find that original key I got with the bike. I just needed the key to turn on the bike to keep that battery kind of good and fluids moving. I can now put it on a float charger and start working on the repairing the body and getting her ready for the riding season lol...

·
Registered
1 Posts
what do you want to do?
I have 2 options for you....

sell you a complete ignition with gas cap and trunk lock with 2 keys....$80 shipped
or tell you how to wire your bike for no key.....

I dont have a key, but let me tell you this i dont leave my bike unattended ANYWHERE.
I need a ignition switch for my bike can you help?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts