Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. i have 05 zx6r with about 17k on it. I just changed my fuel pump, and the bike doesnt start... it used to work perfectly before. i put the old pump back, and still nothing. i checked the fuel pressure, spark, battery voltage. there is spark, injectors spray fuel, and the battery is fine also. the bike cranks fine, but just doesnt start. i spent 3 days working on it and trying to figure out what the problem is. when i sprayed starter fluid inside the intake, it started fine. i just have no idea what it is, because since there is spark and fuel, it should start. Please help me out here, any input will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
Why the F would you spray starter fluid into the intake again?

based off your information, your bike turns over, you have fuel going into the combustion chamber, you have correct fuel pressure and you have spark, and i would assume there is no issues with air.. There is something wrong in your assement, as the bike would fire up if all you said is true.

If you changed the fuel pump that "worked" for another, there is your problem.
Going back to your remark on you sprayed starter fluid in it and it fired up, the fuel pump you say is good is obviously not working properly, as if fuel was going into the combustion chamber the bike would be firing up just like the starter fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah if its running on starter fluid then your not getting fuel. you do realize that after disconnecting your fuel lines that you are going to have to cycle the pump a few times to build fuel pressure back up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my old fuel pump worked, but was making whining noises. i decided to change it, so i doesnt give out on me while im riding. the fuel pressure was at 43 psi as the manual says, and before trying to start the bike, i turned the ignition on and off several times to build up some pressure. i also pulled the injectors out to make sure they spray fuel.
based on my knowledge, if there is spark and fuel, the bike should start..but it doesnt.
i checked the fuel pump by submerging it into gasoline, and it works fine and shoots out fuel. and the bike doesnt start with the old fuel pump either. i just dont know what i did wrong. there is only one way the pump sits inside the gas tank, so i dint think i messed that up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
make sure you haven't cripped any vent lines while re-installing the tank, even if the pump is working fine I have ran into fueling issue when vent lines are crimped not allowing proper vacuum/ preasure inside the tank itself

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i fixed this issue today. there was a bad seal between the fuel pump and its housing, so there was not enough gasoline pumped to the injectors.
pretty simple fix, even though i spent 3 days figuring the problem out.
im very happy it's over, and im back on the bike.
thanks everyone for their input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts