Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed the kit ECU on my bike. I am running a micron slip on, BMC race filter, denso irridium plugs, and about 25% of Torco 117 Octane leaded race fuel to keep bike from pinging and the rest Chevron Premium fuel. I also have a powercommander on it. It seems that I got more gains by doing the jumper mod than installing the kit ECU. I am wondering what kind of PC3 maps are being run to optimize the race ECU for an o5zx6rr w/ similar mods to mine. I started with a map from dynojets database and it seems that as I lean it out in mid and top setting it picks up speed but, still doesn't seem to pull that strong after the first three gears at the 1/4 mile. I am even considering zeroing out the PC3 map because it may be negating the race ECU setting. I think that I am heading in the right direction but, am looking for guidance to save me some testing time at the strip. I only get to run 4-5 passes a week which makes fine tuning a tedius process. I am doing a track school at Daytona in less than a month so want the bike running as great as possible. Thanks for your help
Dean

·
Registered
13 Posts
First the kit ECU for the ZX6RR is slightly on the lean side at full throttle, 13.7 to 1. Leaning it further with a PowerCommander will hurt the engine and power. If you want to use the PowerCommander you will need to have a custom map deveolped for your bike on a Dyno.
The kit ECU is adjustable if you have the programming cable and software from Kawasaki.
Second the stock header has a catalitic convertor built into the collector. Running leaded fuel through the engine will clog the convertor and reduce engine power.
Third high octane fuel produces less power than low ocatne fuel. Unless your compression ratio is over 15 to 1 anything over 98 to 100 ocatne is a waste and hurts peak power. The stock motor is 13.5 to 1.
If you want maximum power from the engine go to a full exhaust system, install the thin head gasket, degree the cams, use an oxengenated fuel such as VP U4, and have a custom map done for you configuration on a dyno.
The 05/06 ZX6RR engine can produce over 120 RWHP SAE with the mods listed above.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have heard on this forum and others that on the 636 the kit ECU will run lean but, is optimized for the rr. I am considering the zeroed map because so far, as I have been decreasing the settings for mid and high rpm on the pc, the bike is picking up MPH in the 1/4 and when I richen it up the bike loses mph big time. I am mixing the 117 octane fuel with Chevron 92 octane to bring total octane closer to 100 and not straight 117. I am considering using U4 which is also leaded according to their website, eventually as many guys at the strip run well with it. I am just wondering where this plug in 10 hp gain is that I paid $400 for.I realize that with tuning on a dyno, I can get another 4-5 hp on top of this. This all being said, I should have seen at least a 3-4 mph increase in the 1/4 right off the bat if in fact, the default map in the kit ECU is optimized for th rr.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warning Kirk Adams. I will post a new 1/4 video tomorrow.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Kirk, ur running NOS on your bike?!! Do you use it while racing -- when, how???

·
Registered
277 Posts
First the kit ECU for the ZX6RR is slightly on the lean side at full throttle, 13.7 to 1. Leaning it further with a PowerCommander will hurt the engine and power. If you want to use the PowerCommander you will need to have a custom map deveolped for your bike on a Dyno.
The kit ECU is adjustable if you have the programming cable and software from Kawasaki.
Second the stock header has a catalitic convertor built into the collector. Running leaded fuel through the engine will clog the convertor and reduce engine power.
Third high octane fuel produces less power than low ocatne fuel. Unless your compression ratio is over 15 to 1 anything over 98 to 100 ocatne is a waste and hurts peak power. The stock motor is 13.5 to 1.
If you want maximum power from the engine go to a full exhaust system, install the thin head gasket, degree the cams, use an oxengenated fuel such as VP U4, and have a custom map done for you configuration on a dyno.
The 05/06 ZX6RR engine can produce over 120 RWHP SAE with the mods listed above.
Good luck.

13.6:1 is stoic....optimum air fuel ratio
the RR compression ratio is 13.9:1
higher octane fuel does not make less power. It does however have a slower burn rate. Anywho have a nice day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.