Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is getting time to adjust the valves again (approx 20k miles). The last time I was in there they all checked out fine (approx 9600 miles). I know I won't be that lucky twice so I wanted to purchase a shim kit from Hot Cams but I don't know the diameter of the shims and I can't seem to find in searching through the forums. There web site only lists dirt bikes but I'm sure one of the kits offered (7.48 or 9.48 mm) should work. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
176 Posts
shims

I'm in the middle of doing that job on my 07 zzr. The shims are 7.5mm diameter. I'm at 8k and need to change out 6 shims. It looks like the intake valves were getting tighter, and the exhaust valve gaps grew. Weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks trackjunkie

I'd be a bit confused how the exhaust seems to be loosening up. Perhaps they were set up very loose from the factory. I just don't see how thats happening..... good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
valves

Yeah, I'm hoping they were just set really loose. Otherwise I guess the cam or buckets must be wearing. I had a couple at .013, just over spec. Mostly they were .010-.011. My intakes were almost all at .005, except one cylinder was .003 and .002.
And I was almost thinking about not doing the job at all since so many people get in there and find them fine...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I did my 98 with 12,000 miles and had to adjust every single valve. My 2001 with 7500 miles had 7 or 8 tight. Kawi valve trains need to be serviced. Honda and Yamaha are much less demanding.

If you have never replaced a shim before, they are most likely all in the 3.00-3.15 in there now. The ranges in the Hot Cam's kits are "inconvenient" in this case....you might need some in the 3.00+ range, but also some in the range below that.

My last zx7 had 48,000 miles on it and I had one shim that was down to the 2.55 size....so it will be a while before you need to buy that kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts