Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my bike parked for 1 week because of weather and now when I try to start it it just cranks over. I did have a full tank of gas in it when I parked it. I took out about 1 gallon and I do use 93 octane. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
so it rained on your bike for a week?
the least you could have done was start it once a day.
Too late now. I would charge that battery and crank it over with throttle wide open.. it should start

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasnt in the rain. I parked it in the garage while it rain. I have tried to start it several times and it just keeps turning over

·
Registered
343 Posts
dont you love it when people that dont know shit answet the tech questions? lol

Need some more info on what you already have tried. Does the starter crank when you engauge it? If it does not then try checking the kill switch, sometimes people accidentially flick that sucker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by GingerNinja
dont you love it when people that dont know shit answet the tech questions? lol

Need some more info on what you already have tried. Does the starter crank when you engauge it? If it does not then try checking the kill switch, sometimes people accidentially flick that sucker.
From what I'm reading it spins over, but doesn't fire. So he needs to check to see if the fuel pump is running and if so, then he needs to figure out why he isn't getting spark.

When you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
'06 you say... I would drop it off at the stealership and have them fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How's he going to get it there? If he has a trailer or a pick up, I agree.

Buy an effin' multimeter! Test that battery, you should be getting 12.8 or more. At 11.3 (?) volts the battery will still turn the starter, but not start the bike (terminal voltage). Oh, and if you do get it started, here are some simple charging system guidelines I posted for someone else in a different forum:

While the bike is running, if you're getting a reading past 15 volts, your regulator is shot. If you hold the multimeter to your battery and it slowly drains in power, your stator is bad. If you charge a battery and you get less than a couple starts off of it before you can't start your bike anymore, you've got a bad battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fuel pump is turning on. Cranks over fine but just wont start. I was told it had something to do with leaving a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Originally posted by tigersurvival

While the bike is running, if you're getting a reading past 15 volts, your regulator is shot. If you hold the multimeter to your battery and it slowly drains in power, your stator is bad. If you charge a battery and you get less than a couple starts off of it before you can't start your bike anymore, you've got a bad battery.
If you jump start the bike and then check the voltage it should be within normal range, turn the bike off then check the voltage again...if it's slowly draining = bad battery. Loss in battery power while bike is running = bad alternator.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When you say it cranks over but just won't start, what exactly is the bike doing? Does the gauges recycle again as it does when you first hit the ignition? What sounds does it make?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Water in the gas. You have to avoid gas with ethanol in it. It attracts/ draws moisture from the air and settles at the bottom of the tank makin difficult or even prevents starting. Also cause lack of power & rough running/ idle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.