Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Roughly 10%....a few weeks ago, my speedo was indicating 88, but a state trooper said he clocked me @ 80...

GunRunner

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
10% is about right, have tested it for speeds under 100

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
lets do some math for you guys...
New tires is going to have you saying 61mph when you are doing 55mph..that is radar verified..

I had a Euro magazine that says in the upper range you are looking at 12% off..

Get a speedohealer if you are worried about it, as after i set mine up, i was dead on 45mph on the local cops radar, and at 80mph i was dead n at 80mph, by GPS and a verified car...
So i am thinking i have actually had my bike to a real speed of 154mph on the front straight of Portland international and that was topping out 5th gear...didnt get to 6th

·
Registered
54 Posts
well i tend to believe is off as well but a short while ago i got a speeding ticket of 100 mph and at the time i saw the cop i looked at my speedo and it said 100 so I have no f'n clue.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
They are off anywhere from 7% to 12%. Take the middle and assume 10% and you will be safe. I ahve a speedohealer on my 10 and was pacing my buddy on his 05 636 and at 80mph on mine his was indicating 89 to 90 mph. That is a little over 10% off.

If you are seeing 176 on your 636's assuming 10% error that would be around 159 or so which is right where all of the mags put the 636 with radar testing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Newb question here, I've had my 636 for a couple of weeks now and I'm lovin the thing, but why are the speedos calibrated to read high?

·
Registered
478 Posts
would a speed o healer correct this problem ......... ive also heard that if its off ur putting unwanted miles on ur bike. would it work wit stock spocket frt& back

·
Registered
596 Posts
It is about roughly 10%. When I had my bike on the dyno I was reading 90 when actually it was going 82. Then whil I was going 182 indicated it was actually about 160. So definitely the faster you go the more it is going to be off.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The reason they are off is due to the fact that the factory calibrates them so that the odometer is 100% accurate and the speedo reads high.

There is a federal requirement that a odomter can read higher than actual speed from the factory but they can not read lower than actual. If it is reading higher you are not speeding so there is no harm or foul when it comes to citations.

I have mine calibrated so that it is accurate on the speed, but in turn it makes the odometer roll less miles on the bike, but we are talking maybe .5 miles per 100 less. So its nothing to get all excited about.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Originally posted by rastas
hi all.
i have seen 165mph on the clock,Garmin GPS said 162. so not too far out.
cheers
165 is a very realistic max speed for the average person at sea level and level road. I was 205 pounds and got 165mph(264km/h) on a garmin gps. Bike said 170mph (272km/h) And that last 1 mph took almost 10 seconds so we can say the bike was maxed. I was tucked in like hell, looking through the wind shield. The bike had nothing left, not even a bit. Rpm was nailed at 15000 . Perhaps a lighter/smaller rider would have a better run, but body position can make a REAL difference. You really have to be tucked in like hell to squeeze it all out to the last drop.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As long as you are tucked and out of the windstream mass has no effect on terminal velocity...just in the amount of time it takes you to get there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.