Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface by saying hello to all, this is my first post. I've been silently lurking for about a month and a half now since I bought my Kawi, and you all have already provided some good aid.

So like the title says, my 06 6r with around 3k on it won't start. It all started with my topping off my coolant revervoir about 3 weeks ago and pinching the fuel tank drain off. Sure enough, after a good rain(about a week ago), enough water got into the tank to keep it from starting. So, 2 days ago, I drain the tank with a syphon (sp), try some clean gas and no luck. Same issue, bike cranks fine just no firing. I proceed to take the tank completely off, drain it, and clean all the lines up to the rail. I topped it off with some fresh gas with a tab of iso-heat . . . and nada. Still no go. The catch is, this time around its not cranking properly, sounded more like a sputtering sound. Since the clock was reseting, I figured I drained the battery.

Today, I jumped it from my Accord and it finally fired, but I had tweaked the idle earlier so it died shortly thereafter. I tried to adjust the idle knob, but wasnt getting any idle response, i.e. I twisted very far in both directions and saw no change in low idle speed. So I rode it around the block a few times, having to start it after every stop mind you. But that didnt last long either. I stopped at a friends down the block, and after 5 minutes or so it wouldn't start back up. This is after I had sucessfully started it about 10x in a matter of 20 minutes. We tried to push start it a few times with no luck.

After all that noise, I put the jumpers back on and tried to fire it, but still nothing; but different symptoms again. This round, the fuel pump didn't prime and all I heard was a nasty clicking. The Nuetral and oil pressure lights were dim and the clock did reset, On top of that, while trying to adjust the idle screw, the whole damn line came off in my hand.

As of right now, my bike is sitting in a garage hooked up to a 12V batery tender.

I guess my questions to you all are the following:

1)Is there a procedure for adjusting the idle? Since I was getting no response, was I doing it wrong or was the idle screw maybe never "hooked up" correctly.

2)Will it run with the idle adjustment stripped out?

Please feel free to give any advice on how to proceed.
PS: I put a Yosh pipe on, so I think that will void my warranty, aka I would rather try a little bit longer to fix this problem myself.

Thanks! :)

·
Powerhungry
37,952 Posts
sounds like u turned the idle adjuster too far..the WRONG WAY. and basically unscrewed it. prob gonna have to take the tank and airbox off to fix it. and it also sounds like the battery was dead. 10 times in 20 min is ALOT these are very small batteries. ur prob right about the water initially. but after u fixed that the idle adjuster seems to be the problem. it should turn "IN" or clockwise to idle UP.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like its gonna be a real pain in the ass to get that adjustment knob to screw back on. Is there any tricks to get it screwed back on? Glad to know that clockwise increases idle, I don't think I've seen that intel anywhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.