Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had the 06 flat plasma blue color matched yet. I would like to paint my lower fairings this winter, but only if it is really close. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Edit: Move along, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not worth trying to match. I had that color on my bike before I wrecked it and no body shop in town would even attempt to color match it. The painting process requires perfection and if any mistake is made during the flat clear coat to bad start over as you can't wet sand any imperfections.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Ninja
Dont have to be a dick head, do you?
Don't take things the wrong way.

I posted a reply, then edited it because I had doubts about the answer I had posted. My reply does look a bit strange, but you've read it out of context.

It does have "Edit:" before everything else.

·
Registered
703 Posts
get the paint from colorrite. i painted the black pieces just below the seat. came out really well. it will be a bit pricey though as you should get their primer, paint, and eggshell clear coat. their product is good quality ,so i feel it was worth it.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you get some paint from color right, you can go to a good paint shop and they can match it. I paint cars at a local shop....i had my paint rep come in with the paint companys "camera" (it takes a pic of the paint and makes a formula to mix it) but there is not full coverage on the bikes to take a pic and make a formula. But if you have some paint say from color rite you can do a spray out and make sure there is coverage then a forumula from a colorcmera would work :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Originally posted by ldrexler
.......jar. how big of a panel would i need to paint for that "camera" thing to work ?
with the camera that my paint company has you really only need a small panel say like 5inch X 5inch

·
Registered
703 Posts
....thanks. i'm going to paint a 6" sqare panel and when i get a chance take it to a shop and see what they come up with.... i wonder how many places will say "just get it from colorrite". [B)]

·
Registered
55 Posts
You use that big of a paint panel? I have no experience with matching vehile paint, but I match house paints and one machine needs a sample about 1/4 dia. and the other needs about 3/4 dia. I just thought it would be similar. How big is the paint matcher?

·
Registered
703 Posts
.........i didn't paint the lowers. i only painted the black "filler panels" just below the seat. came out pretty good. i did do it myself. i 'll post up a pic. later if someone wants to see..

·
Registered
247 Posts
well i think a smaller panel would be fine, but with the camera we use you have to take 3 pics to insure quality, so a larger panel alows you to move the camera for the 2nd and 3rd pic incase one of them is no good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmm.. on my other bike, when i had to get a few parts painted, They took this machine thing placed it over paint and it gave a 100% match of the color of the paint!

too bad i didnt know the name of the gadget thing they used

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.