Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Is anybody else experiencing what I believe is called headshake on thier 06 10? Under moderate to heavy acceleration my handle bars turning side to side. It's quite annoying as I am never able to fully throttle up my bike. Since this has been happening I have turned my stock damper all the way up, but it is still doing it a little bit. Am I they only one that this is happening to or am I doing something wrong? I used to get a it from time to time on my 636 too, but that was only when I was shifting gears, here I am just straight-lining it without shifting and it's doing it. Help me out guys, thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The o6 zx10 r is so powerfull that u will get minor head shakes in first second and third gear quite often even in straight lines, With the damper all the way up.
The damper is not very effective, im thinking about getting a tighter damnper, the standard one is on purpose not very effective.
have fun :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still breaking mine in but it sucks to know that the ohlins damper doesn't work. Have you noticed the damper is loose? You can lift it up and down. I went back to the dealer to make sure and all the dampers on the 10's were loose. Why? I'm also not sure the adjustment on it does anything. Anyone have a suggestion on another damper or a better ohlins damper? Some use a Scotts damper on the 04-05 zx10. Will that work on the 06?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There was a recall on all zx 10r 06 a month or so ago, one of the bolts that hold the damper cold become loose, talk to your dealer and he prolly know about. the fact that u can move the damper up and down is okay, its not faulty.
The damper does work when u make adjustment but the difference is only a bit more than minor.
I have heard that u dont have to buy a new one but u just need to erhmm change som of the parts inside it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I had the recall done already. That was no big deal. And yes you do notice a difference in the damper, but only when you turn it up all the way. And if you're standing still turn your handle bars while you adjust it you won't feel a difference. Atleast I didn't. I only felt it when I actually got on it and made a turn. It was quite a bit stiffer, but not like the GPR (or whatever initials it is). That's the damper I want!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well myself havnt had any problems with a head shake yet and Ive rode mine pretty hard so far and gots lots of KM on it. But ya, the dampner doesnt seem to tighten as much as any other ohlins dampner Ive seen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not tyin to be funny....but....loosen up on the handle bars a bit. make sure are relaxed. i used to have the same problem with headshake until i realized i was holding on too tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, relax on the bars and also make sure you set your preloads and damping up properly. You will be surprised hown much you can tune out with a good setup.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't have any headshake problems on mine have not put that many miles on it yet though but so far no problems with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by BlackGhost
Not tyin to be funny....but....loosen up on the handle bars a bit. make sure are relaxed. i used to have the same problem with headshake until i realized i was holding on too tight.
VERY TRUE[:Agree]

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I have a Scotts on my '05, works great, adjust on the fly.... My buddy has an Ohlins on his 03 Gixxer 750....to "stiffen" it up he replaced the internal fluid with a heavier weight fluid...and presto...brand new damper!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
your suspenssion settings are all about your personal prefrence and feel, its different for every rider! I also have not had any head shake what so ever I ride very aggressive. you need to be one with your machine!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm going to have to do something because it really annoys me. I'm still trying to top the bike out but I can't because no matter what I do, when I get to 150-155 (which is the fastest I've had it) I get slight headshake. Not full side to side, but it still turns atleast of quarter back and forth. Ok so what's a good suspension set up to absorb some of the bumps? I put a nice knot on my tailbone the other day from all the bumps![V] Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like u really do have big problems... How about u try letting a friend try your bike to see if he experinces the same headshake problems, before u start adjusting/changing parts to solve the it ? :)

Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha Ha. Very funny. Nobody rides my baby, nobody. I let one friend ride my old 04 636 just to do a wheelie down the street to show my how easy it was, and when he came back he went right in to a stoppie and flipped my bike. Needless to say I don't talk to him anymore as he screwed me over on the money to fix it. Since then I haven't let anybody ride my bikes except for another friend who I let ride my new bike a mile to the gas stating to see what it was like. But as for me letting them ride it and get on it and possily take it to 150+, there is no way in hell lol[}:)]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.