Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has 18 clicks and on the 18th it's looser than my buddies ohlins, that looks identical, on his 6th. Why on earth would they put on a damper that is not the same as they sell for $300? I'm tempted to take it off over the winter and send to them to make it the same as a "real" one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
putty...i dont remember if its a problem with the damper itself or the mounts...but there was some recall or problems with the damper

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SinaStar
putty...i dont remember if its a problem with the damper itself or the mounts...but there was some recall or problems with the damper
Thanks! It would have to be the damper. I'll inquire on that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just talked to Ohlins, usa. They told me that Kawasaki did not want the regular damper installed in the ZX10. They were worried customers would buy the bike, set it to 18 clicks, and crash. Then blame Kaw. So they had Ohlins create one that does not have the resistance of a normal one. He said at first they were not aware of it at the service centers and 10r owners that complained of this sent them in and they were like "hell, this thing is screwed", so they fixed them. They then heard from Sweden, home of Ohlins, that they are NOT to modify the damper. If a 10r owner wants it stiffer, they need to find a service center that can work on the product, or buy another one. He said they get calls on this all the time. He is not sure why Kaw does not advertise the damper is detuned for liability purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know about this.

So you really need a damper thats tighter than the stock unit? Mine feels fine. But I don't have much experience with dampers, this is my first bike to have one. I usually run it on the loose side anyway, and I still haven't had any issues with head shakes. Even when I land a 100+ mph wheelie, she seems fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the 06 10R. The dampner can be adjusted till you almost can't turn the bars. I wonder if they changed it... i have only had the bike for a month.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FLOJOE
Interesting, I didn't know about this.

So you really need a damper thats tighter than the stock unit? Mine feels fine. But I don't have much experience with dampers, this is my first bike to have one. I usually run it on the loose side anyway, and I still haven't had any issues with head shakes. Even when I land a 100+ mph wheelie, she seems fine.
Yes, it is far looser than one that you get directly from Ohlins or where ever you buy parts. The last click on a regular one is so tight you have to fight to turn the wheel. The one stock on the 10r is not half as resistant.

Originally posted by NTIMID8
I have the 06 10R. The dampner can be adjusted till you almost can't turn the bars. I wonder if they changed it... i have only had the bike for a month.
Not possible, unless you were one of the first to send your in for repair. I've gone and tested on several other 10s and all are like mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The mounting is different on the '06 stock one as well. The one bought from Ohlins on my '05 has a slick mount that keeps it all on the main stem. I don't know how much this matters on the resistence, but the physics are a little different. I've also heard that the '06 has problems blowing out seals. Sounds like Kawi got a "bulk purchase" deal that forced Ohlins factory to componsate on quality to cut costs down.[:0]

B

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by bddavis33
Sounds like Kawi got a "bulk purchase" deal that forced Ohlins factory to componsate on quality to cut costs down.[:0]

B

I'm thinking the same thing. Ohlins itself said it's different.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dude come on. Why does everyone have to complain about something? Its a "STREET DAMPER". For the love of god. If you want a "TRACK DAMPER" buy one. Not trying to be an asshole but if you want a RACE bike there is alot more on this bike that your gonna do besides a dampener. Be happy that they at least put something on there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by insaneilluzion
Dude come on. Why does everyone have to complain about something? Its a "STREET DAMPER". For the love of god. If you want a "TRACK DAMPER" buy one. Not trying to be an asshole but if you want a RACE bike there is alot more on this bike that your gonna do besides a dampener. Be happy that they at least put something on there.
Dude, i'm making people AWARE....Show me where on Ohlins site where they sell a "street" or "track" damper. There ISN'T....Therefore, they placed a detuned version on the ZX10r...more than likely cause they had to produce a million of them for Kaw, so they found a way to cut COST! Take a walk with that "complain about something". I may not use my bike the same way you use yours.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You can simply run thicker oil or make the holes smaller. Of the 10 or so I've sold to racers, one has changed it out for a "race" damper.
As far as Kawasaki having Ohlins make a damper "cheaply" to cut costs, that's ridiculous. It would have been cheaper to buy off the shelf dampers than have Ohlins retool to make a damper to Kawi's specs. The damper is softer than a race damper because it's a street bike. Street bikes require better slow speed maneuverability than a race bike, and obviously race settings on the damper could very easily hinder this.
They could have put a cheap non-adjustable pile on there like Suzuki does. Would that have been better?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is better than the one on the gixxers. You seem to think I am pulling this outta my azz. I talked to Nathan from Ohlins and he TOLD me that damper is NOT the same as the ones sold. It's more than heavier oil. The inner workings are different. Whether it was to cut cost or not, it's different. That's the benefit of 18 clicks. Hard if you want it or soft if you don't, so that "Street bikes require better slow speed maneuverability than a race bike" seems like it could be solved by not adjusting to such a stiff setting.
My point here is, if I want to have a very stiff damper, from Ohlins, I should not have to replace, retool, or redo anything. It should be the very one on the kaws that I could spend $300 and buy. I bet you can't go buy the one that comes on the 10r from Ohlins.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Originally posted by Gix1k
It is better than the one on the gixxers. You seem to think I am pulling this outta my azz. I talked to Nathan from Ohlins and he TOLD me that damper is NOT the same as the ones sold. It's more than heavier oil. The inner workings are different. Whether it was to cut cost or not, it's different. That's the benefit of 18 clicks. Hard if you want it or soft if you don't, so that "Street bikes require better slow speed maneuverability than a race bike" seems like it could be solved by not adjusting to such a stiff setting.
My point here is, if I want to have a very stiff damper, from Ohlins, I should not have to replace, retool, or redo anything. It should be the very one on the kaws that I could spend $300 and buy. I bet you can't go buy the one that comes on the 10r from Ohlins.
Re-read my post. I wrote you can simply change the damping effect by thicker oil, and/or closing up the holes. We've done it, so selling me otherwise is a waste of time.
As far as the reason for Kawasaki using the unit it does, I also answered that for you. Like it or not, agree with it or not, that's the reason why. It may be more fun to put on the tin-foil hat and break out the Zapruder film, but there's no conspiracy here

·
Registered
550 Posts
"My point here is, if I want to have a very stiff damper, from Ohlins, I should not have to replace, retool, or redo anything. It should be the very one on the kaws that I could spend $300 and buy."

If you want a stiffer damper for street waste 300 dollars cause its useless. If you want it for the track, yes you are going to have to replace, retool or redo. Kawi doesnt sell race bikes, they sell street bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Something overlooked is the fact that many have complained about seals blowing. This is more evidence of the quality being compromised. If I didn't know any better, I'd see that Ohlins piece on the 06', think it was the top of the line, and it may sway me more towards a Kawi. That might be a reason Kawi and Ohlin's went that route with the partnership. All brand loyalty aside, as every one of my sportbikes have been a Kawi (6r, 7r, and now 10r), I don't agree with what they did here. I respect Ohlin's and think they are the best in the biz, so to hear so much bad on the bulk piece sux. My .02

B

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's all good. The recall had to do with the torq on the bolts, that's it. The damper is at Kawi specs. So, as above it's ok for streets and if you need more buy a better one, GPR. I will say that is does kinda suck. The oem damper on my R1 was way better. Some have complained about seals leaking and others have modified with a diff weight of oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.