Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw a related topic but can't find it. What is the recommended way to run in a new bike? I got my ZX 10 06 model yesterday and the manufacturer's recomendations say no more then 4000 rpm for the first 800km/500mi and 6000rpm for the next 800km/500mi. At 4000rpm one is doing around 100kmph which is like really slow.[|)] For 800 km and that is painful.

Generally what is the opinion of breaking in a bike? Obviously you don't take the bike off the floor and red line it in every gear until you flat out. DUH! But if one say eases through the gears and takes it slowly up to say 160 kmph and cruises at that can this damage the motor during the "run in" period?????

·
Registered
71 Posts
each to their own only got 50 miles on her but take her up to 6000rpm my advice is just dont nail it through the gears once ive got 150/200 miles on her i get it in top then just wind it up for about 2 miles every now and then
all motors pretty much bullet proof and they say their bench run in anyway yeh theirs always a bad one out there somewhere that has problems
ive got a warranty claim already on my tank coz its got a flaw in it
hope this helps anyway

·
Registered
37 Posts
i kept mine at 4000/4500 rpm for 100 miles now im starting to increase the rev range.

Like frizz said dont stress the motor, make sure you have warmed the engine up and take your time to learn what the bike is all about.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i hit redline on the first night after riding around ... like 120ish miles.... ur suppose to break it in the way u want to ride it ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well did 200 km sticking at around 4000 rpm yaaaaaaaaaawn, today put on another 300 km at about around 6000 rpm where I was cruising at say 140/150kmph and she is running like a dream. One thing I noticed is the faster or "harder" one rides this bike the better it feels even in terms of comfort. Well tomorrom I will put on another 300k's or so and then another 200 the weekend. Then I can have service done early next week and I am ready for the weekend rally!!!![8D][8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From when should one be able to ride the bike pretty hard, after first sevice? Or certain amount of mileage?

·
Registered
66 Posts
zega... see my link above... it's a philosophy thing.

I disagree with factory break in period..... For good reasons. BTW has the factory breakin philosophy changed in the last 20yrs.... no.... have the manufacturing techniques changed..... yes very much. This impacts breakin. IMO

Sorry for the spelling errors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by mainezx9r
zega... see my link above... it's a philosophy thing.

I disagree with factory break in period..... For good reasons. BTW has the factory breakin philosophy changed in the last 20yrs.... no.... have the manufacturing techniques changed..... yes very much. This impacts breakin. IMO

Sorry for the spelling errors.
agreed ... thats why u ride the bike like u stole it ... breaking it in is over rated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.