Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im not looking for a biased answer i wanna know facts. Ive been looking all morning and cant find shit other than dyno's and 1/4 mile times. Im looking at the zx10 and my brother is looking to get a r1, we are always competing (spell?) and i was curious which is faster (track,top end,cornering) whos got the better handling... just basic stuff. thanks

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
The 10r will be a little easier to ride fast. The R1 really has to be wound up more to get the same power, lacks low-end torque.

But unless either of you are pro level racers, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Just get the one you like the best :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by danthony12321
The 10r will be a little easier to ride fast. The R1 really has to be wound up more to get the same power, lacks low-end torque.

But unless either of you are pro level racers, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Just get the one you like the best :D

Exactly, those numbers are interesting and all, but theres guys out there on late 90's model ninja 500s who will beat the piss out of 98% of us around a track and through the twisties 8 days from Sunday. The point is, it takes one hell of a rider to REALLY be able to differentiate between and accel more with one bike over the other. The average guy is better off going with which bike looks best or seems most reliable, and its hardly worth getting all nit picky about the quarter mile times, which are within tenths of a second of each other anyways, and the average rider is probably going to be a half a second or more off in the quickest possible quarter mile times for a given bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
dont believe the hype...

Buy what makes you say damn! thats my bike
also what makes you feel comfrtable on it when riding and sitting on her.

These bikes are so powerfull it is all about the rider nothing more..
And does having 166 or 161Rwhpo make a difference?
NOPE

being able to ride the bike does and us normal people cant even come close to making these bikes work.

I am going to opt for a cbr1000RR as it is the perfect fit for me and love the looks...who cares if it only does 175mph?
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,412 Posts
The 10R feels noticably torqier and quicker, and pulls harder up top too. The 06 R1 is comfortable, and is a little easier to lean over at a good angle, but isn't very flickable at all. I felt like I owned a 125cc with insane power when I went from my buddy's R1 to my 636. Not that the R1 doesn't feel light, it just isn't flickable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
With equal riders the 10 is faster! Also more fun to ride, power everywhere. Drop a tooth in the front and hang on.
 

·
Powerhungry
Joined
·
38,146 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
The 10R feels noticably torqier and quicker, and pulls harder up top too. The 06 R1 is comfortable, and is a little easier to lean over at a good angle, but isn't very flickable at all. I felt like I owned a 125cc with insane power when I went from my buddy's R1 to my 636. Not that the R1 doesn't feel light, it just isn't flickable.
ive never ridden a 10, but i agree the r1 is NOT flickable at all.
to me, for my size/weight, its a very tireing ride. after a few hrs on it, im beat.
id love to go run an 05 zx10 tho. possibly trade my r1 for it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
ive never ridden a 10, but i agree the r1 is NOT flickable at all.
to me, for my size/weight, its a very tireing ride. after a few hrs on it, im beat.
id love to go run an 05 zx10 tho. possibly trade my r1 for it....
Have you had your suspension set up for you yet? If not, get someone experienced to set it up for you with some faster turn in and see how much better it feels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
LOL.... well said..:D
Originally posted by danthony12321
The 10r will be a little easier to ride fast. The R1 really has to be wound up more to get the same power, lacks low-end torque.

But unless either of you are pro level racers, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Just get the one you like the best :D
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,412 Posts
Originally posted by nevada



ive never ridden a 10, but i agree the r1 is NOT flickable at all.
to me, for my size/weight, its a very tireing ride. after a few hrs on it, im beat.
id love to go run an 05 zx10 tho. possibly trade my r1 for it....
I rode my buddy's R1 through a local-to-Las-Vegas tight twisties run (as in the hairpins are full lean at 30-35mph) for a good 3 hours or so, and I wasn't really tired after, but that's probably because I was new to the road so I was concentrating on running as smoothly as possible, making sure I set up the turn for a good line into the next so I didn't have to thrash the bike so much. I've never ridden a 10 either, but everything I've read from comparo tests and such said the 04/05 10 was a VERY flickable bike, almost too flickable to the point where it was a little nervous. A damper and some suspension setup would fix the nervousness, but stock for stock, I'm not sure which I would go for, suspension-wise. The R1 tracks razor smooth through the corners, but it takes a lot of oomph to change directions, and what I've heard of the 10 says it flicks around, but isn't nearly as smooth when leaned over. Basically, that it's possible to go faster on the 10, but easier to go fast on the R1. On a road course, at least. The 10 has gobs more torque down low.

Devil Dog -> I agree that proper suspension setup will do wonders, but I thought we were talking stock for stock. Dropping a few MM on the front or raising the rear ride height a tad will do a lot for turn in and flickability.
 

·
Powerhungry
Joined
·
38,146 Posts
hmm that was an 06 r1 tho right?
they did lengthen it some 20mm or so. i wonder if they shortend the rake to compensate. maybe the 06 would be a bit less "work" to ride.
i like my r1 for touring, long rides. but for the "fun" stuff, its the ninja ALL THE WAY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
i dont know which one is faster, it just seems that you can find more aftermarket parts for the yamaha. that is the only drawback to kawi that i have found. i find a lot of aftermarket parts for yamaha, honda, and suzuki, but kawi parts are not near as prodominate
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,412 Posts
Originally posted by helo-pilot
i dont know which one is faster, it just seems that you can find more aftermarket parts for the yamaha. that is the only drawback to kawi that i have found. i find a lot of aftermarket parts for yamaha, honda, and suzuki, but kawi parts are not near as prodominate
It's getting a lot better than it was a few years ago, though. Until the 636 and 10R came out, finding quality aftermarket race parts was really hard to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt


Devil Dog -> I agree that proper suspension setup will do wonders, but I thought we were talking stock for stock. Dropping a few MM on the front or raising the rear ride height a tad will do a lot for turn in and flickability.
Yes, we are still talking stock, just simply adjusting the suspension to the rider should be common practice with any motorcycle. Why would you want to ride something that isn't set up correctly? All I am saying is that the R1 is not hard to get to turn in, and that it shouldn't tire you out. If that is the case then the suspension is really out of whack or the rider is over compensating in the turns.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,412 Posts
Originally posted by Devil Dog



Yes, we are still talking stock, just simply adjusting the suspension to the rider should be common practice with any motorcycle. Why would you want to ride something that isn't set up correctly? All I am saying is that the R1 is not hard to get to turn in, and that it shouldn't tire you out. If that is the case then the suspension is really out of whack or the rider is over compensating in the turns.
Yeah, I do agree. I rode the R1 through three hours or twisties, and I noticed the slow turn in, but it didn't tire me out at all. It was just a shock to go from that bike to my little 03 636 all set up and good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not understanding what your saying? Are you sayin the power difference was unbelievable between the R1 and 636 (which is obvious) or were you saying the 636 rides better than the R1 in turns?

Just a lil confused :)
 

·
Powerhungry
Joined
·
38,146 Posts
Originally posted by Devil Dog



Have you had your suspension set up for you yet? If not, get someone experienced to set it up for you with some faster turn in and see how much better it feels.
naw. but i havent had my 6 set up either. im happy to continue riding it.
i wish i never would have got the r1. nothing about it "gets my attention"
except maybe the power, and even thats really not that impressive....
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top