Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums and really looking for a good comparison between these to bikes. My friend has a new 650r and he really likes it. Its comfortable to ride, and pretty quick. But how does the zzr compare in speed and handling ability. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The ZZR would out run, out handle, and overall, out perform the 650r. I don't think it would even be much of a comparison.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 05 ZZR and damn it is nice! The ZZR is the 98-02 Ninja so it has the racing heritage, just sold as a 'sport tourer'.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with Ferq. I was looking at a Ninja 650r before I bought my '06 ZZR600. The ZZR was even more comfortable to me. For about the same price you can get you a '06-'07 ZZR600, whick is a 4 stroke instead of a 2 stroke. You can get ALOT of aftermarket parts for the ZZR and when I was considering the 650, almost everyone would say after a year I would be bored with the 650r. I would say buy the zzr600, you would be happy in a year or two you did because of the possibilities with this bike. Good Luck, Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Originally posted by cadi197
For about the same price you can get you a '06-'07 ZZR600, whick is a 4 stroke instead of a 2 stroke.
i hope you mean 2 cylinder, not 2 stroke. i see a lot of people ripping on the 650r, but people need to realize it was meant to be a beginners bike/ fun commuter bike. NOT a race replica. of course the zzr is going to out power it, it started life as a racing bike. the 650r is very comfortable, has good power, and is meant to compete with the suzuki sv 650, not a supersport class 600 racer.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by ginofultano

i hope you mean 2 cylinder, not 2 stroke. i see a lot of people ripping on the 650r, but people need to realize it was meant to be a beginners bike/ fun commuter bike. NOT a race replica. of course the zzr is going to out power it, it started life as a racing bike. the 650r is very comfortable, has good power, and is meant to compete with the suzuki sv 650, not a supersport class 600 racer.
Hehe, yea, some people confuse 2 stroke and 2 cylinder.

Anyway, the 650r is a bike designed for comfortable riding, commuting, and the like.
the zzr600 was the 2002 zx6r, so it is designed for both race track and street riding. It makes a good commuter bike too (I have for the last few years), and depending on your body size, it is comfortable all day too (I am 5'11 and it's great for me)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My first bike was the ex500, now had the 650r been out at the time I would have probably wanted that instead. I love my zzr, I can't say about the 650r (not been on one), but it looks nice I think.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You right....I f-ed 2 cylinder. Not a 4 cylinder. I fly R/C airplanes and for some reason the 2 & 4 strokes were in my head. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the 650r. I read alot of the reviews and sat on a couple before settling with my '06 ZZR600. This is my first bike, and I feel like I picked the best of the two to learn on. I am 29 and me being a little older helps with knowing my abilities so I don't push it and I also respect the bike. Once you lose respect for the bike, down you go. I bought this the end of Feb. Have put only 3,500 miles on it so I am no expert by all means, but to me, I think for me the ZZR600 was the perfect beginner bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
These 650R's arent commuter bikes:

http://www.cyclezoo.com/gallery.asp?g=Ninja650

I dont agree with the whole respect for the bike thing. You dont learn much if you dont push it...which is why you learn more in 3 months of track riding than you ever would in 3 years of street-only riding. I'm not advocating tearing up the streets on your first bike to develop your skills, not at all...but a track day or two should definitely be on your to do list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They both have a different focus. The 650R is, from what I can see from the specs, pointed more towards beginners and ZZR is a retired supersport race bike that is also a great all-round sportbike. On the track the ZZR would win hands down, but on the street the 650R has more of a chance I would think. Personally I like what Kawasaki has done with the ZX-6R and I think it is the best bang for the buck, but then again I have never rode a 650R.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I really wanted a zx6r to begin with but insurance is outragous for me 2300+ but the insurance on a 650r and zzr's run right about 1200 for full coverage on 06 bikes.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The zx6r is my first sport bike, i have ridden and raced qauds and dirtbikes most of my life and i am not 17 (dont laugh) and it is an awsome bike to learn on, i bought mine used and ugly for pretty cheap its a 98 but it has plently of pep for me for now, and insurance is pertty cheap for me $451 a year in my own name with almost bare coverage due to it not being worth crap anyways if i wreck. Also that is good for me sense i dont have my license, only got a permet but have my test sched. for 9/6 so i will soon be licensed but i am going to cheat on the road test and use my uncles honda scooter. I was going to buy a brand new bike a 636 infact, but decided i dont feel like paying it off and to buy what i can afford until i get enough saved up for a 636, maybe in a year or so, idk i have to ride one first before i decide its that much better then my bike. But i would deff reccomend a zzr or zx6r (98-02) as a first bike. My buddy had a 650r for a few months, but he hated it and sold it, and got a 636, but its personal pref i think.
Ben

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i think the reason a lot of people dont like the 650r is the stigma that it isnt a screaming inline 4. which is the same annoying reason america hardly gets any of the bike models the manufacturers are making.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by salukigraves85
Thanks for all the replys. I really wanted a zx6r to begin with but insurance is outragous for me 2300+ but the insurance on a 650r and zzr's run right about 1200 for full coverage on 06 bikes.
Check State Farm. My insurance is about $265/year for full coverage with low deductibles. A lot of other people on here seem to get good rates from them too. Geico wanted about $3000/year for crappier coverage on the same bike...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.