Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
canadian tire here in canada has an almost perfect match.....a post long ago , some had asked me too, and they found something at autozone or whatever.....galaxy silver is the color right?

·
Registered
182 Posts
speaking of which, i found a green zx6 front cowling but i need it to be silver for my zzr. the dealer said they wouldn't paint it, they just replace the part, and every paint shop quoted me a price that well exceeded would it would cost me to just buy the part brand new. will a rattle can have the same quality? do u need to clear coat it? Whats all actually involved in painting the plastics on a bike?

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
not sure of the autozone question....? us silly canadians[8D]

good quality AUTOMOTIVE spay paint is the key...not that tremclad crap.....

and the other key is clearcoats.....many of them...light application...take your time and make sure it is UV protected......mine wasnt, and I have to redo it this winter.....it looked OEM when i did it the first time....but the sun kicked it's ass.....alligatored and dry cracked, boooo[xx(]

jason

·
Registered
939 Posts
yeah i have spry painted a few things on other bikes. just use the best paint possible. and as long as the parts arent touching each other, people wont notice that the paints are different shades.
then do several coats of clear coat.
and take your time. might even want to buy a broken plastic to practice on first.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Colorrite has a perfect match. Pricey though. Key to a good paint job: TAKE YOUR TIME. I sprayed my front fairing a year ago and it hasn't turned or yellowed. 1 can of color and 2 cans of clearcoat should be enough to spray the fairing and seat cowl. I did 2 medium color coats, 3 light clear and 1 medium/heavy clear. Waited a couple days and wet sanded it all then used 3M polishing compound. Looks like the factory paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.