Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first bike this past weekend and have been riding it to work for a few days. Felt like an ass this morning when I ran out of gas in the middle of traffic on PCH....

What is the best way to avoid this in the future? Is there an aftermarket fuel gauge I can install? Do I just need to watch the miles and fill up based on that (I have been seeing posts of between 110 to 170 on a tank before flipping to Reserve)? Any other suggestions? My wife and I will be sharing the bike, and I would rather I do all the stupid stuff myself and figure it out, as opposed to her getting stuck, you know? She is not riding it just yet, as we are waiting for the lowering links so she can more easily touch the ground.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I get 150 mi and have to switch to reserve. I try to fill up at 130+ before I hit reserve and reset the odo. Looks like we are neighbors, congrats on the new ride.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
jest do what i do next time you fill up reset your trip meter to 0.0 then when you hit about 100 miles stop and refill her up. it will only take about 2 gal to fill it up so use that to take a brake get a drink than you never have to worry about runing out of gas jest remember to reset the trip when you refill. when i pull up to the gas pump that is when i reset it before i open the gas cap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How many miles did you really go? When I was in the break in period, I once got as much as 56 miles per gallon. Now it is hard to keep from wrapping the throttle around so it's down to about 45mpg. I just reset the trip when I fill up and normally will switch to reserve between 150 and 165 miles depending on the way I have been riding.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a speedo healer so my numbers are different. 42mpg ave is what I have experienced. I used to hit res at 170+ stock but now after the healer 150+. I also have -1F sprocket so im losing some MPG there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hit the trip reset every time you fill up and ride for about 120 - 130 miles. Rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by freebird5150
I have a speedo healer so my numbers are different. 42mpg ave is what I have experienced. I used to hit res at 170+ stock but now after the healer 150+. I also have -1F sprocket so im losing some MPG there.
I read somewhere that the speedometer can be off as much as 10% or so but the odometer should be within 1 or 2%, so adding the speedo healer shouldn't affect your mpg too much. You are more likely losing mpg through the gearing. That being said, I don't have a speedo healer so I have no basis for comparison.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As the above members have said, figure out on your next fill up about how far you're going, then monitor the trip odometer and fill up then next time. These bikes normally give you some warning they are near reserve. (mine loses power at acceleration). Flip to reserve then. You'll have plenty of miles to find a gas station at that point. I switch to reserve while riding without a problem. Just remember to switch back to "on" when you gas up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you have stock gearing your speedo is off or optimistic by about 10%. This means your milage (MPG) will read 10% higher than actual also. If you have -1F your speedo is 13.3% optimistic, and so will your mpg. With a speedo healer dialed in to correct the speedo error, it also corrects the odometer error and your MPG will be accurate also.

Since the stock speedo is off 10% multiply your mpg by .90 or 90% to get you actual MPG with stock gearing. ex 50mpg * .90 = 45mpg

I agree reset your trip odo when you fill up and refuel before 150+ miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.