Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, i know there is alot of info out in the search option but i cant seem to get a straigh answear. im about to place my order wich includes new tires, air filter, and of course chain and sprockets. im looking to get more low end but not sacrifice too much on top, and i dont mean top speed i mena highway cruisin speeds. its almos at 6k rpm going 60mph already with the sock 16/43 set up. i would realy apriciate some imput thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My friend just went from -1/+2 to stock front sprocket and +2 in the rear and he says it's a good combo of bearable revs (his exhaust is effin loud) and low end power. Basically, if you want to accelerate faster your going to rev higher on the highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i understand the concept of changing the ratio for low end will have me more reved up at highway speeds. i guess my question is how much did it change the rpms for highway? is it bad enough to become anoying and someday make me whant to go back to stock? thanks for the imput eeevil

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My -1 front setup has me now indicating 80mph (I don't have a SpeedoHealer or anything so it's more like 70mph) at 8K RPM. It's not too bad on the freeway but I sure am glad I didn't go -1/+2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow! i didnt think it would change the speedo that much. but you saying how glad you are for not going -1 +2 has changed my mind slighly because i was planing on just going +2 in the rear. im the worst when it comes to big diecisions like this. i might just stay sock lol.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
wow! i didnt think it would change the speedo that much. but you saying how glad you are for not going -1 +2 has changed my mind slighly because i was planing on just going +2 in the rear. im the worst when it comes to big diecisions like this. i might just stay sock lol.
Yeah it's just a matter of getting a Speedo Healer or Speed DND to correct the speedo. I am just too lazy and cheap to get one :p. BTW..ANY gearing change you make is going to have an effect on your speedo. This should be understood when looking to change to anything but stock sized sprockets.

I HIGHLY suggest you at the very least go -1 (or it's near equivalent +3 rear). My bike is much more lively with the slightly shorter gearing regardless if I commute 70 miles a day to work.

Either way...enjoy your bike and new goodies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 15/45 setup, and can't believe I waited for 2 years of riding my '08 to go to it. It is night and day. I don't have a speedohealer, but I can still fly on the freeway. I don't really do it, because going 150mph in a straight line doesn't really interest me, but I can't say my -1/+2 setup prohibits me from anything on the highway. I'm guessing my top speed may now be around 135-140mph, not exactly positive though. I've had it to my speedo saying 152mph, but I still had rpm's left and am guessing my actual speed was probably around 130mph. The acceration difference between 16/43 and 14/45 is VERY noticable, and is very handy while riding the twisties. You're mid-range power is substantially increased with the 15/45 setup without sacrificing too much top end.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i understand the concept of changing the ratio for low end will have me more reved up at highway speeds. i guess my question is how much did it change the rpms for highway? is it bad enough to become anoying and someday make me whant to go back to stock? thanks for the imput eeevil

Depends, I can be on the highway going with speed, or slightly ahead of traffic (between 70-75mph) and I am around, I believe 7,000-8,000 rpms. It's not really annoying to me, and the engine doesn't get too hot because of the increased air flow (it was 95 F yesterday and I was at about 188 F on my bike). I actually enjoy being able to cruise in 6th and have increased power in that gear and not shifting down to make a pass or something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 15/45 setup, and can't believe I waited for 2 years of riding my '08 to go to it. It is night and day. I don't have a speedohealer, but I can still fly on the freeway. I don't really do it, because going 150mph in a straight line doesn't really interest me, but I can't say my -1/+2 setup prohibits me from anything on the highway. I'm guessing my top speed may now be around 135-140mph, not exactly positive though. I've had it to my speedo saying 152mph, but I still had rpm's left and am guessing my actual speed was probably around 130mph. The acceration difference between 16/43 and 14/45 is VERY noticable, and is very handy while riding the twisties. You're mid-range power is substantially increased with the 15/45 setup without sacrificing too much top end.
you'll top out around 135-140 with that set up so that's a good guess :) Gearing Commander is theoretical because it doesn't take into consideration wind resistance etc...

gearingcommander.com

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My fastest speed with a -1+2 and gps tuned speedo healer is 138 recorded on the healer and she still had more to give. If your going to do a lot of highway riding it may be to much for you. Try it and find out

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have -1/+2 set up, at first it bother the hell out of me, the revving at 8K (going about 75 mph to 80 mph) and also the gas consumption. I believe I might be getting a 100 miles to the tank (I haven't really done the math yet, but I can say when I go down the shore, its a 50 miles run each way and the fuel lights comes on. so i might be pushing 120 miles to a full tank.) Now I don't mind the revving being a 8K anymore cruising on the highway, I love the extra pull way too much now. I top out at 140 mph (non gps tuned speedohealer) about 3 times and according to GearingCommander.com its right on the money where -1/+2 tops out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts